CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Kodak DCS Pro SLR Review!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 740 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Hardware Reviews >> Kodak DCS Pro SLR Review! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kodak DCS Pro SLR Review! - 9/8/2004 12:56:53 PM   
SiliconFreak

As we've said over and over again during this test, the Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n is both amazing and annoying. Amazing because it offers exceptional resolution and images of very high quality (provided an excellent lens is used), and annoying because noise makes it unusable beyond ISO 160. Amazing because the SLR operation is superb. Annoying because its botched design makes it difficult to handle and its slowness is enough to exasperate even the most laid-back photographer. Amazing because you can sense that you're holding one of the best cameras on the market, and annoying because you feel that the unit is somehow unfinished, and that its shortcomings essentially make it suitable for studio work only.

The bottom line is that this Kodak is not a digital panacea, but it is an interesting alternative to the Nikon reflex, since its 24x36-mm sensor makes the entire range of Nikon F lenses compatible, without a multiplying factor.

In the light of these results, can we advise you to buy it? Without hesitation, provided it's to be used only for studio shots. The unit is clearly unsuitable for all-around photography and for field work, such as photojournalism applications.

If at some time in the future Kodak were to offer the same camera body with slightly better build quality, simpler to use, and above all without noise, we'll have nothing short of a miracle. We'll just have to wait.

The Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n is both a poor and an excellent camera body. This paradox has several sources: The images are unusable beyond ISO 200, largely because of noise, but they're impeccable at ISO 160 and exceptional in longer exposure mode at very low sensitivity. The 24x36 sensor does not shorten focal length and produces pictures with good rendering, though their digital origin is clearly identifiable. The price makes the unit accessible, but its construction is too light and its ergonomics fall far short of the mark. SLR operation is remarkable, but response is mediocre, as are navigation and the general operation of the camera. In short, the user is faced with a true "monster" with very impressive possibilities, but which is systematically disappointing when it comes to practical exploitation of those capabilities.

We'll end with what we've insisted on throughout this review: The Kodak DSC Pro SLR/n is probably the best digital solution for the studio, in a shooting environment where the photographer controls lighting and has the luxury of being able to take his or her time.

FULL REVIEW...

Source : TomsHardware

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Hardware Reviews >> Kodak DCS Pro SLR Review! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI