CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

3,300 New Viruses Detected Between Aug 1-20!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 838 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> 3,300 New Viruses Detected Between Aug 1-20! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3,300 New Viruses Detected Between Aug 1-20! - 9/7/2004 9:50:33 AM   
SiliconFreak

Around 3,300 new malicious codes have been detected by security software provider Trend Micro between August 1 - 20 this year The malicious codes consisted mainly of Trojans, back-doors and worms. According to the Trend Micro World Wide Tracking Centre, Sasser was the most prevalent virus in August with 325,409 victims and made up nearly 31 per cent of infections in the August top 10 virus list.

However, the six variants of NetSky accounted for almost 46 per cent. In Australia, the March variant NetSky.P accounted for over 45 per cent of August infections.

Mark Sinclair, Trend Australia's technical services manager, said both viruses were written by the same programmer; an 18-year old German who was responsible for 77 per cent of infections by the top ten viruses in August. The number of infections by these two viruses since May have also long exceeded that of other viruses.

"According to Trend Micro statistics, the NetSky series has been listed among the top ten viruses since February, accounting for over half of the top ten viruses between April and July. Thus, the majority of virus infections so far this year can all be attributed to a single German high school student.It is no wonder The Independent called Sven Jaschan and his substandard computer the most dangerous things on the internet," he said.

Sinclair said that reports showed that calls to the help line at Microsoft headquarters in Germany jumped from 400 a week to 35,000 a week when Sasser first began quickly spreading, while downloads of their patches jumped from 30,000 a week to 1,600,000 a week.

Source : Silicon.com
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> 3,300 New Viruses Detected Between Aug 1-20! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI