CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

CD Disintegration? Help needed!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 864 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> CD Disintegration? Help needed! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CD Disintegration? Help needed! - 9/5/2004 12:42:27 AM   
wooz2002

Hi, How's everyone? I've got a problem with my audio CD here. Haven't been listening to it for over a year and when I took it out yesterday, part of it close to the edge seems to have been eaten away! It's a 2 CD set and both have the exact same problem at almost the exact same place - the upper left. I've always stored them in the original box - never exposed or anything. In fact the cover art on the cd and everything else are perfectly fine. It's like that the recording layer is being "vaporized". Anyone has any idea what causes this? (My other Cds seem to be fine.. so far)

Here's how bad it looks:
Whole
Closeup

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: CD Disintegration? Help needed! - 9/5/2004 6:37:09 AM   
emperor

hi and welcome to our forums, for sure the situation is not very pretty, your CD recording layer seems to be destroyed, we have heard of such problems due to high humidity, i would suggest read the disc tracks to HDD with EAC, probably you will miss only the last track

(in reply to wooz2002)
Post #: 2
RE: CD Disintegration? Help needed! - 9/5/2004 4:33:55 PM   
Vega

wooz2002 can't you return your cds to the manufacturer? I presume they are cds rather than cd-rs? I had some problems with disc oxidisation, from a specific cd plant....they changed the discs for me (except those that had gone out of print).

V

(in reply to wooz2002)
Post #: 3
RE: CD Disintegration? Help needed! - 9/5/2004 9:58:22 PM   
wooz2002

thanks for the replies. well yes, where i live - malaysia does have a high humidity - 90% all year long. if this is the result of an oxidisation due to humidity, then is there anything i can do to protect my other cds? and another question, why did my other cds - some 10 years old - still looks ok?

i'll also try to contact EMI - if they would exchange a new one.

(in reply to Vega)
Post #: 4
[Deleted] - 9/6/2004 1:18:58 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to wooz2002)
  Post #: 5
RE: CD Disintegration? Help needed! - 9/6/2004 7:38:33 PM   
MP3Mogul

I'm not quite sure of your financial status. Personally, I have built a special room in my home, that has a dehumidifier installed, and the room is temp controlled at 72 degrees F all year long.....

While this is not basically feasible for everyone, if you can afford this... this works fantastic.... I have "never" lost a disc from my vault, where I store all of my original works.. and backups.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 6
RE: CD Disintegration? Help needed! - 9/6/2004 10:26:03 PM   
wooz2002

well minos, the government tried to "fix" the price of all Cd's and software last year to make them more affordable and stem piracy problem, but pressure from the big companies killed it. email to EMI to ask for replacement but no reply so far...

to mp3mogul: may i ask how much it cost to build that room? i'm just wondering.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 7
[Deleted] - 9/7/2004 1:28:53 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to wooz2002)
  Post #: 8
RE: CD Disintegration? Help needed! - 9/24/2004 2:25:53 AM   
wooz2002

hi minos, just an update.. sent the defective CDs to EMI about a week ago and got the new one back today.. said this was an exception as their usual policy is within 7 days of purchase.. guess piracy here is really eating up their sales so every single customer counts now

< Message edited by wooz2002 -- 9/24/2004 2:59:38 AM >

Credit Cards International

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 9
RE: CD Disintegration? Help needed! - 9/24/2004 5:45:41 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Wow! that's great that you got replacements! I'm pretty surprised they are only offering 7 days after purchase warranty... that's hardly enough time for anything. I mean, Maxell offers a better warranty on their CD-Rs, and that's a much less stable medium then a pressed disc!

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to wooz2002)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> CD Disintegration? Help needed! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI