CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Video Games To Get Emotional!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 870 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Game News >> Video Games To Get Emotional! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Video Games To Get Emotional! - 8/30/2004 5:47:54 PM   
T3TRISizer

Penn State researchers have developed an automatic lighting system that can speed up the development of interactive stories and videogames, thereby enhancing players' experiences, by adding more tension and emotion to a scene.
Expressive Lighting Engine (ELE), is an intelligent system that allows game developers to use lighting to direct attention to particular objects or characters, create mood and provide visual depth. As well as automatically placing lights to illumine a scene, ELE also selects their positions, colors and angles.

"Lighting in game engines is static and restrictive, and it doesn't change with interaction. ELE draws on cinematic and theatric lighting design theory and enables game designers to fully use lighting's subtle but powerful effects," said Magy Seif El-Nasr, an assistant professor in the Penn State School of Information Sciences and Technology.

ELE also helps game designers, responds very quickly as compared to current lighting design, which is time-consuming, often requiring weeks of tweaking.

Because the system is dynamic, it can also be used to change the level of difficulty in a game. For instance, characters can be lit up to be obvious for beginners, whereas for more experienced players the lighting could include more shadows.

"ELE allows artists to control its behaviour at a high level or a low level. Additionally, ELE supplies artists with a language to write rules for specific lighting changes or set up," she added.

Source : ANI

< Message edited by T3TRISizer -- 8/30/2004 5:48:39 PM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Game News >> Video Games To Get Emotional! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI