CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Windows XP SP2 Has a Dangerous Hole!!!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1211 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Windows XP SP2 Has a Dangerous Hole!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows XP SP2 Has a Dangerous Hole!!! - 8/25/2004 5:06:43 PM   
SiliconFreak

Windows XP Service Pack 2 promises to raise the security bar for the sometimes beleaguered operating system. Unfortunately, one of the new features could be spoofed so that it reports misleading information about system security, or worse, lets a malicious program watch for an opportunity to do damage without being detected. The feature is the Windows Security Center ( Figure 1 ), which displays the status of the key elements of your defenses: Firewall, Updates, and Antivirus. If your firewall has been disabled, or your antivirus is out of date, that news will display here. The information is stored in an internal database managed by the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) subsystem built into Windows.

Based on an anonymous tip, we looked into the WMI and the Windows Security Center's use of it, and found that it may not only be a security hole, but a crater. Due to the nature of WMI, it could potentially allow attackers to spoof the state of security on a user's system while accessing data, infecting the system, or turning the PC into a zombie for spam or other purposes.
Full Story...

Source : PCMag
Post #: 1
RE: Windows XP SP2 Has a Dangerous Hole!!! - 8/26/2004 5:16:10 AM   
emperor

Damn! Another m$ hit

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows XP SP2 Has a Dangerous Hole!!! - 8/26/2004 7:51:22 AM   
SiliconFreak

come onnnnnn...You are talking like someone who just got his first PC with Windows installed......we both know that You (and all of us) are already used to those M$'s gameplays...they just cant hit the target right away...to much wind or what?

SP13 Rullzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows XP SP2 Has a Dangerous Hole!!! - 8/26/2004 10:26:37 AM   
S33K3R

quick another update plz

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows XP SP2 Has a Dangerous Hole!!! - 8/26/2004 10:58:08 AM   
emperor

hehe

(in reply to S33K3R)
Post #: 5
RE: Windows XP SP2 Has a Dangerous Hole!!! - 8/26/2004 6:55:28 PM   
MP3Mogul

If we didn't have firewalls and antivirus/spyware programs installed, I think the average PC would only be online about 20 minutes before it was so infected, it probably wouldn't even boot.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Windows XP SP2 Has a Dangerous Hole!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI