CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Disc brands / place of manufacture   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1318 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Disc brands / place of manufacture Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disc brands / place of manufacture - 11/28/2002 10:19:51 AM   
adelphia83

Well I've noticed a similarity between disc manufacturers and place of manufacture.... however I haven't narrowed it all down yet, and was wondering if anyone had more information I could use...

So far I've narrowed TY discs to be made in Japan. All discs I've purchased so far that are made in Japan, have been TY... Any other brands made in Japan, any bad ones to look out for?

I'm pretty sure Mitsubishi Chemicals Discs are produced in Mexico. I haven't come across any other brands made there.

Now the Taiwan part confuses me.. I know CMC discs are made here, which in part makes me want to stay away from Taiwan manufactured discs entirely. But are there actually any decent discs to come from there, and how do I tell them apart from cheap CMC discs? Boy if I ever buy another spindle of CMC they are going right in the garbage.

Anyone know where Ritek, ProDisc, Ricoh, and other brands I haven't mentioned are produced? And what brand name do they come under?

Basically I want to be able to try different brands while keeping as far away from CMC discs as possible. If anyone knows a failproof way of sorting the CMC discs from the bunch, I would really appreciate anyone posting some info on the subject.

Thanks again!
Post #: 1
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/1/2002 2:33:25 PM   
Mylusi

quote:

....If anyone knows a failproof way of sorting the CMC discs from the bunch, I would really appreciate anyone posting some info on the subject.....

I second that! I wonder why it's been so hard to post a definitive list of the Good, the Bad and the real Ugly media brands.

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 2
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/3/2002 12:21:33 PM   
rjw

The first problem is that quite a lot of brands switch from manufacturer quite some times.
The second problem is that each factory produces various quality disc's. (S/SA quality is the best.A is the second best )
Now there is difference in a Mitsui A grade and a CMC A grade however. There is a bigger difference A grade CMC and B grade CMC.
Now to blaim a factory because the brand only buy the cheaper disc's B and lower isn't completely fair. Check the CMC Media Agreement when the test results are up. Check the rattings of 3 CMC disc's there is really a large difference.I hope to have the results up on Friday and Yes I know that they should have been there allready.

One thing some factories do not use this quality system and only produce A and higher . The other ones are destroyed however these factories are rare.

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 3
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/4/2002 4:47:39 AM   
Iczer

All the cd-rs I buy are made in Taiwan:
TDK (Ritek), Acer (Acer or Hitachi Maxell), Maxell (Hitachi Maxell), Sony, Smart Buy (Prodisc), Philips (CMC)...

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 4
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/4/2002 6:01:27 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Hotan CD-R/Ws -> CMC
K-Hypermedia CD-Rs -> CMC
Pioneer 32x CD-Rs -> CMC
Optimum 32x/40x CD-Rs -> CMC

CMC is made in Taiwan only

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 5
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/6/2002 10:29:26 AM   
rjw

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 6
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/6/2002 10:51:16 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

that's interesting! however it doesn't say they'll be making CD-Rs there... CMC has their thumbs in quite a few different pies, and might be using their new European location for packaging or other products ?? HOwever, I may have been wrong on my initial statement. Though has anyone ever seen CMC CD-Rs that *don't* say made in taiwan?

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 7
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/6/2002 11:04:21 AM   
rjw

Know the European old factory of Mitsubishi Chemicals is producing still cd-r/cd-rw's for Mitsubitshi Chemicals (Verbatim). However CMC is doing a lot of R&D at that place.
Knowing that this was the CD-RW from Mitsubishi Chemicals in Europe might explain the okay quality of CMC CD-RW's. Know I don't know what was in the deal. But I think there is a big change that CMC CD-RW's are not that bad because of a little help they got.

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 8
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/6/2002 11:17:21 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

That would make a lot of sense, despite their bad reputation, I still havn't found a better CD-RW then the one I used that was CMC. the funny thing is, the CMC CD-RW that I have was returned by a customer, claiming it was defective.... and then used for office work, and THEN I took it and brought it home. LOL!

P.S. For the record, I've never used Mitsubishi Chem Co. CD-RWs, so I'm not comparing CMC to them!

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 9
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/9/2002 7:26:56 AM   
adelphia83

Thumbs up for CMC RW's. I have yet to find a high speed rewritable capable of 12X in my drive, besides CMC.

I've got several CMC RW's from around 1997 (Smart and Friendly 4X) that still rewrite and read fine today.

Liteon 52x32x52 Black
NEC 2510A

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 10
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/9/2002 9:09:56 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:
Originally posted by adelphia83

Thumbs up for CMC RW's. I have yet to find a high speed rewritable capable of 12X in my drive, besides CMC.

I've got several CMC RW's from around 1997 (Smart and Friendly 4X) that still rewrite and read fine today.

I have some Smart and Friendly 2x CD-RWs that still read great today! they probably would write great too... but I'm not going back to burning at 2x!

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 11
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/10/2002 3:16:15 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Here's some new info about brands and manufacturers:

LiteON Multispeed 80min CD-R: made by CMC!
LiteON HS CD-RW: Made by Nan-Ya Tech Plastics....WHO'S THAT???? so far it seems good though

AOpen 40x 80min CD-R: Made by Ritek
AOpen HS CD-RW: Made By Ritek

I'll add a quality check when I get a chance

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 12
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/10/2002 3:56:58 AM   
adelphia83

quote:
Originally posted by Dolphinius_Rex
I have some Smart and Friendly 2x CD-RWs that still read great today! they probably would write great too... but I'm not going back to burning at 2x!

Lol Nothing like travelling back in time-- Don't you miss the good old days when it took 40 minutes to rewrite a CD?? I was stuck with a Mitsumi 4x2x8 drive until a couple months back when I upgraded. I'm glad I did

Liteon 52x32x52 Black
NEC 2510A

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 13
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/10/2002 8:50:28 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Anybody known if Princo uses Ricoh's CD-RWs??? I have some Princo "12x" CD-RWs (which are actually 10x!) that have a Ricoh ATIP, however, given Princo's reputation and current problems with TDK, I wouldn't be at all surprised if these are just using the ATIP if Ricoh. I can post the ATIP and serial numbers if anyone wants them.

note: the retail packaging says "4x-12x" but in the serial number on the disc it has "10x80M" gee, I wonder what that stands for....[}:)]

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 14
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/16/2002 4:46:13 PM   
cross56

I've tried the TDK 48X media and if i'm not mistaked they were CMC media. But the 40X TDK i'm useing now are Ritek.

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 15
RE: Disc brands / place of manufacture - 12/17/2002 10:23:36 AM   
rjw

The problem is Ricoh did sell cd-rw stampers. So they could use a stamper or a third party. But with Princo you never no. They could have just got a stamper made with this atip illegally or just payed for the stamper or even put there name on some orriginal ricoh disc's.

(in reply to adelphia83)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Disc brands / place of manufacture Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI