CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Power Consumption Of Contemporary Graphics Accelerators!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 777 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics >> Power Consumption Of Contemporary Graphics Accelerators! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Power Consumption Of Contemporary Graphics Accelerators! - 8/24/2004 12:05:50 PM   
SiliconFreak

Power consumption is a big issue these days. A poor PSU can blow up under excessive load, taking an entire system with it. Or, a SFF PSU finds it can't handle the startup load with all that high-spec hardware it's powering. One of the big power consumers is the graphics card. X-Bit Labs have measured the power consumption of various nVidia and ATi cards.

Graphics cards on ATI’s GPUs generally require less power than their counterparts from NVIDIA’s line-up. However, I don’t think this difference is so great as to be of more importance at shopping than cost or speed factors. The only problem with graphics cards on new NVIDIA GPUs is their high load on the +12v power rail, which may be too much for your PSU.

On the other hand, top-end expensive graphics cards like NVIDIA GeForce 6800/GT/Ultra or ATI RADEON X800 XT/Pro are usually bought for a ragingly-fast gaming station where they won’t be the only power consumer. For example, modern top-end processors, even non-overclocked, have the same power consumption as those graphics cards or even higher. So, it is probable that your other system components will demand a new PSU earlier than the graphics card does.

Full story...

Source : X-Bit Labs
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics >> Power Consumption Of Contemporary Graphics Accelerators! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI