CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Latest Worm Uses IM To Lure Victims!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 836 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Latest Worm Uses IM To Lure Victims! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Latest Worm Uses IM To Lure Victims! - 8/24/2004 9:42:13 AM   
SiliconFreak

A worm which spread from infected Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) web servers in June is using instant messages (IMs) and infected websites in Russia, Uruguay and the US to spread itself.

Researchers at PivX Solutions have intercepted new malicious code that closely resembles widespread attacks in June attributed to a malicious computer code named "Scob" or "Download.ject".

The latest attacks use mass-distributed instant messages to lure internet users to websites that distribute malicious code similar to Download.ject, said Thor Larholm, senior security researcher at PivX.

First detected on 24 June, the Scob attacks were attributed to a Russian hacking group known as the "hangUP team", which used a recently-patched buffer overflow vulnerability in Microsoft's implementation of SSL (secure sockets layer) to compromise vulnerable Windows 2000 systems running IIS Version 5 web servers. Companies that used IIS Version 5 and failed to apply a recent security software patch, MS04-011, were vulnerable to compromise.

The June attacks also used two vulnerabilities in Windows and the Internet Explorer web browser to silently run the malicious code distributed from the IIS servers on machines that visited the compromised sites, redirecting the customers to websites controlled by the hackers and downloading a Trojan horse program that captures keystrokes and personal data.

Source : ComputerWeekly
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Latest Worm Uses IM To Lure Victims! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI