CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Linux May Power South Korean Schools!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1250 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Linux May Power South Korean Schools! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Linux May Power South Korean Schools! - 8/23/2004 7:38:27 PM   
LinuxMarshall

South Korea's education ministry could soon switch to the Linux operating system--a further testament to the growing popularity of open-source software among regional governments.

The project, which would rank as one of the largest Linux installations in the country, aims to link all primary and secondary schools and relevant government departments through a common system known as the National Education Information System.

On Friday, business consulting and IT services provider BearingPoint submitted a final proposal to South Korea's Ministry of Education and Human Resource Development for the project.

In its report, the company recommended that Linux be used for 2,000 out of 2,700 servers in the National Education Information System. Each of these Linux-based servers would cater to a particular high school or so-called special-purpose school. The remaining 700 servers would be based on Unix. Each Unix server will be shared by a group of 15 elementary and middle schools, BearingPoint said.
Read more...

Source : CNETAsia
Post #: 1
RE: Linux May Power South Korean Schools! - 8/24/2004 3:26:28 AM   
sp

The actual client systems will be running (obviously?) on windows?

If this speculation is indeed true, since this is will be the os students will learn computing on, the story as presented to the public by linux proponents seems misleading to me...

< Message edited by sp -- 8/24/2004 3:28:58 AM >

WM # CI

(in reply to LinuxMarshall)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Linux May Power South Korean Schools! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI