CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Storpac 40 - Extra Storage On Your Desk!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1362 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Hardware Reviews >> Storpac 40 - Extra Storage On Your Desk! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Storpac 40 - Extra Storage On Your Desk! - 8/20/2004 4:43:09 PM   
SiliconFreak

Price: £1799
Manufacturer: Storpac

As demand for storage continues, and the need to back that data up becomes ever greater, Storpac's desktop RAID system may provide a useful solution if you?re struggling to back up gigabytes of data.

It's certainly an eye-catching product, with a contoured metallic silver casing and a blue illuminated LCD display, disguising up to a terabyte of raw data capacity.

The four drive bays support Ultra ATA/100/133 hard drives, with each easily fitted into a proprietary caddy that slots into the backplane.

Internally there's a FireWire and USB bridge chip that provides two rear FireWire 800 ports and a single USB 2.0 port. Additional devices can be daisy chained to the FireWire ports and there's also a serial management port.

No drivers are needed, nor are there any software requirements, because the drive automatically appears within Windows, and can be managed through the Windows disk manager. Initially it takes a while to format the drives, at two and half hours for a terabyte at RAID 5 750GB useable capacity).

The front LCD panel provides status information on each drive and environmental data such as temperature, fan speed and power supply. Although not as noisy as ordinary PCs, it's still noticeable in use. If the fan fails it can be replaced quite easily.

The unit comes with Dantz Retrospect backup software, which is straightforward to use.

The Storpac 40's only real disadvantage is its high price - as an alternative it may be worth considering a NAS device, although this would require more administration. However, as a solution for a single desktop PC it's attractive if you can afford it.

Source : VNUNet

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Hardware Reviews >> Storpac 40 - Extra Storage On Your Desk! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI