CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Microsoft Previews 64 bit Windows XP Professional!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 741 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft Previews 64 bit Windows XP Professional! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsoft Previews 64 bit Windows XP Professional! - 8/19/2004 3:04:14 PM   
WinThusiast

Microsoft have released a preview of the 64 bit version of Windows XP Professional for beta testers. Now called Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, the final version of the OS will now be released in 2005, having been delayed from winter 2004, no doubt because of delays with XP SP2. Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition will also be released in 2005.

Those of you wishing to test the OS have a 450 mb download ahead of you – which doesn't seem that bad, really though copies are available free on CD with a modest shipping charge. From a feature standpoint, 64 bit Windows is virtually identical to the standard version, the program and kernel code is compiled to take advantage of the increased processor world length. Pricing for the final OS will be similar to 32 bit versions.

64 bit XP will run on a range of 64 bit processors and support up to 16 gigabytes of physical RAM and eight terabytes of virtual memory. RAM support will increase as hardware manufacturers catch up. 32 bit users on some processors will be able to upgrade to the new OS for free.

An Overview Of Windows XP Pro x64

Source : F.L.
Post #: 1
RE: Microsoft Previews 64 bit Windows XP Professional! - 8/19/2004 4:34:41 PM   
sp

quote:

ORIGINAL: WinThusiast

...up to 16 gigabytes of physical RAM...

Again ms fears to lose potential win 2003 customers...

WM # CI

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 2
RE: Microsoft Previews 64 bit Windows XP Professional! - 8/20/2004 3:21:50 PM   
WinThusiast

HAHAHAHAHA....hey sp...that was meant that it would SUPPORT up to 16Gb of RAM and up to 8Tb of virtual memory...

Or have Your fears came out of thinking that such ammount of ram wouldnt be enough???

I dont think they will loose customers...at least not because of that...probably the 2003 Server x64 Edition will support same ammount of ram....or did You have in mind non-64bit edition?

And one more...they would need to have 64bit platforms to use that edition...so again no threat...not even to 2003 Server 32bit....

So dont be afraid...good old Billy boy always calculates whats best for his wallet...so he will make everybody happy...happy users...happy his wife because of the money he would put to desk in front of her....everybody happy...

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Microsoft Previews 64 bit Windows XP Professional! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI