CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 950 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? - 8/17/2004 4:45:52 PM   
SiliconFreak

Microsoft has issued a hotfix for Windows XP SP2 to solve a problem about which many users have complained: programs that attempt to connect to loopback addresses other than 127.0.0.1 get error messages. A lot of VPN users have run into this problem, which I've read was introduced last-minute, post-RC2. Of course, it's a hotfix so it's only sort-of supported. They're going to have to come up with a more formal solution.

Source : eWEEK
Post #: 1
RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? - 8/18/2004 6:51:47 AM   
emperor

Typical microsoft...how about releasing SP2+ ?

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? - 8/18/2004 10:23:58 AM   
WinThusiast

If someone asks me...this is some kind of never-ending story...with hackers always a step ahead...which is kinda logical...and it will continue forever...because you will always need to have some (internet) access into computer, to reach (get) required information...and so...for that long there will be 'a hole' for potential attackers...because there is no 100% security...

But its up to all (not just Microsoft) to try to close this 'hole' as much as possible...and be almost up-to-minute with new threats to minimize the potential damage...

And finally...anyone who was thinking that SP2 would make some kind of TOTALLY SAFE SYSTEM that would never need any updates again....was (and still is!) living in illusions!

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 3
RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? - 8/18/2004 12:03:11 PM   
emperor

hehe, i just read the article where the internal firewall of SP2 is not blocking much, again you need third party solution!

(in reply to WinThusiast)
Post #: 4
RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? - 8/18/2004 2:08:58 PM   
MP3Mogul

Yeah, I would NEVER dream of not using Zone Alarm Pro....

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 5
RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? - 8/18/2004 4:07:49 PM   
SiliconFreak

Got that right emperor! But then again...Microsoft says that it isnt wise to use 2 firewalls because some conflicts might occur between them!? So who shall we listen now?

Anyway...I still use my Mcafee Viruscan Pro + firewall (in addition to those built in SP2)...and am more than happy for now...everything works fine...

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 8/19/2004 6:08:18 AM >

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 6
RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? - 8/18/2004 4:16:39 PM   
emperor

Maybe there will be some conflict between those two firewalls, i don't know...

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 7
RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? - 8/19/2004 6:35:34 PM   
MP3Mogul

Besides MS firewall is EXTREMELY basic, did I say "EXTREMELY BASIC?" It offers basically nothing, except for perhaps a new user with a PC out of the box to protect him until he's smart enough to get a "real" firewall, say within 15 minutes of being online! , I have it turned off as well, I only rely on ZA Pro

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 8
RE: First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? - 8/20/2004 4:01:50 AM   
sp

A naive question:

Does anyone know a firewall that works for sure under terminal services in Windows 2000 / 2003?

WM # CI

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> First XP Pre-SP3 Hotfix!? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI