CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

AOpen COM5232 Combo Drive Review!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1409 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Hardware Reviews >> AOpen COM5232 Combo Drive Review! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AOpen COM5232 Combo Drive Review! - 8/12/2004 8:24:26 PM   
SiliconFreak

The AOpen COM5232 is not a bad drive, though it is fairly vanilla. Some of AOpen's advanced CDRW technology did not make it to this drive which is a shame because those features would have rounded out the combo drive much better. It certainly could have used the Just Speed feature for sure.

Although Just Link wasn't present, the buffer under run protection worked well. While burning files on to a CD at 52x, I defragged the folder it was copying from, and ran a virus scan on that drive. The burn times increased by about 30 seconds longer than when the PC was left alone. The burn worked just fine, save for the Teac drive being unable to read the disc.

There are some slight 52x audio extraction issues, and this occurred on a number of audio CDs. They are not as severe as they were on the CRW5232, but they are still present. I will have to say that this drive can get pretty noisy at full speed and it's a shame the Speed Boost function could not make its way to this drive.

Although I did not display them, the speeds compared to the AOpen CRW5232 numbers (which is a similar dive in terms of raw speed) were quite close. Overall, the CRW5232 had a slight edge, but only by a second or two. DVD playback was unspectacular, meaning it just worked, which is all I could really ask. At $45 USD, the price is definitely right as it has the ability to burn CDs and read DVDs as well.

Complete Review...

Source : ViperLair

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
[Deleted] - 8/13/2004 5:36:20 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
  Post #: 2
RE: AOpen COM5232 Combo Drive Review! - 8/13/2004 10:13:01 AM   
SiliconFreak

Yessssssss...

Thats cool...so now the people would be able to make ONE ULTIMATE REVIEW out of those two reviews combined

More info, more knowledge, more wisdom...alias...CDRinfo, more CD related knowledge for users-readers, users-readers would become CD related Professionals!

(Too much Beer? Is it that obvious?) ***JOKE***

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 8/14/2004 12:15:13 AM >

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 3
RE: AOpen COM5232 Combo Drive Review! - 8/13/2004 4:12:07 PM   
sp

I just remind to our viewers, that we have a new beta version of site search that is able to locate articles (reviews, interviews, etc.) as well as news.

Using this function one is now able to locate virtually everything ever posted in our site!

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Search/DetailedSearch1.aspx

WM # CI

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
[Deleted] - 8/13/2004 8:01:01 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to sp)
  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Hardware Reviews >> AOpen COM5232 Combo Drive Review! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI