CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 816 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/18/2002 6:24:10 PM   
clokkevi

I'm using Windows 2000 - and now I've got just too many - for my own liking - CD/CD-R(W) drivers !!

2 days ago, I used the "Windows Update" utility to upgrade Windows Media Player - from 7.0 to 7.1.

When I rebooted, there came this message up that Elby/CloneCD's "Sanity Check" had detected something "bad" in CD-ROM Class, and it had now fixed this problem. I can't remember exactly the words, but I think that was the essence.

Well, as I had no idea of what that had happened, I just went along as usual.

But, when I later burned a image with Nero, I got coasters 3 times in a row, even when I rebooted yhe pc inbetween - which have helped before. Lastly, I burned the image with CDRWin at 4x, and this time it was ok.
(I'm not sure if these coaster issues has anything to do with the topic - all has happened on the same brand of CD-R's: "Smartbuy" - the cheapest, worst CD-R's that's available here in Norway - I won't buy any more of those)

Well, to the topic:

As I studied the log from Nero, I noticed that after WMP 7.1 had been installed - I had got 2 more drivers, making a total of 5:

Existing drivers:
File 'Drivers\CDR4_2K.SYS': Ver=2.5 (089), size=52720 bytes, created 02.03.2001 20:55:54
File 'Drivers\CDRALW2K.SYS': Ver=1.00 (1030), size=22585 bytes, created 02.03.2001 20:55:54
File 'Drivers\ASPI32.SYS': Ver=4.71 (0002), size=16877 bytes, created 17.07.2002 08:53:02
File 'WNASPINT.DLL': Ver=V1.17, size=55808 bytes, created 19.09.2002 00:00:00
File 'Drivers\Ultra.sys': Ver= 1.60 (Build 33), size=37338 bytes, created 19.09.2000 11:58:54 (Adapter driver for rec)

The new ones, CDR4_2K.SYS and CDRALW2K.SYS have I now traced to WMP 7.1's cd-recording option:
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Shared\ECDC Engine\wmburn.exe

I don't like all these drivers!
It's bad enough with RealOnePlayer's drivers - but they are at least hidden inside a \Real\ subfolder, so only Real itself is affected by them. So does CDRWin, if I've understood it correctly.
But Adaptec, no, they must place theirs inside
C:\WINNT\system32\drivers
- making sure every application will have to deal with them... [xx(]

There can't be any need for this?
I will never use WMP to burn a cd - therefore I won't need the ECDC Engine either.

But - I would like to be able to play some files with WMP 7.1 !
I've been using the good, old MP 6.4 - and also MP 5.0 (for it's frame-by-frame options) - but lately,
I've discovered that some files/formats/codecs seem to play *much* better on WMP 7.0 than on MP 6.4 -
DivX movies, ASF and WMV - among others. Therefore the WMP 7.0 -> WMP 7.1 upgrade.

I seem to recall that when I installed WMP 7.0, I had the option to decide if I wanted WMP to record cd's or not ?

I've checked inside the registry - and this is what I found:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"Class"="CDROM"
@="DVD/CD-ROM drives"
"EnumPropPages32"="MmSys.Cpl,MediaPropPageProvider"
"Installer32"="storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller"
"SilentInstall"="1"
"NoInstallClass"="1"
"TroubleShooter-0"="tshoot.chm,hdw_drives.htm"
"Icon"="-51"
"LowerFilters"=hex(7):45,00,6c,00,62,00,79,00,43,00,44,00,46,00,4c,00,00,00,00,\
"UpperFilters"=hex(7):43,00,64,00,72,00,61,00,6c,00,77,00,32,00,6b,00,00,00,00,\

If I translate from hex:

LowerFilters = ElbyCDFL - I guess this was the one the "Sanity Check" "fixed" ...?
UpperFilters = Cdralw2k - but this one is the work of the ECDC Engine

***************************************************************************************

To summarize - I have this question :

Is there a way to make the ECDC disappear, with its 2 drivers and registry entries - without removing the whole WMP 7.1 ?
Post #: 1
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/19/2002 3:42:04 AM   
john

Tried to install the latest Windows Media Player 8.0?

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 2
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/19/2002 8:10:20 AM   
clokkevi

Eh - no..?

Windows Media Player 8.0 ?

Hmm.. until now, I've really wondered why this version 8.0 never showed up...
As a Windows 2000 user, I've been looking at the /windowsmedia/ site,
finding version 7.1... and then the next version seemed to be the beta - now RC1 -
of version 9.0 - eh, Series 9, that is.

But, since you're telling me version 8.0 actaully exists, I'm lokking again, more closely - and now I see that the player called "Windows Media Player for Windows XP" is in fact version 8.0 !

So - this one won't install that damned cd-recording feature - at least not unless I tell it to do so ?

But are you really sure it's safe to install this XP version even though I run Windows 2000 ?

Or is it some kind of trick I have to use to be able to use it..?

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 3
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/19/2002 8:16:00 PM   
john

Why you need anyway the WMP anyway? I would use a real recording software

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 4
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/19/2002 9:11:59 PM   
clokkevi

quote:
Originally posted by john

Why you need anyway the WMP anyway? I would use a real recording software

But so would I! Therefore I'll get rid of that ECDC Engine !

I guess my first posting became a bit long - here's the extract:

I will never use WMP to burn a cd - therefore I won't need the ECDC Engine either.

But - I would like to be able to play some files with WMP 7.1 !
I've been using the good, old MP 6.4 - and also MP 5.0 (for it's frame-by-frame options) - but lately,
I've discovered that some files/formats/codecs seem to play *much* better on WMP 7.0 than on MP 6.4 -
DivX movies, ASF and WMV - among others. Therefore the WMP 7.0 -> WMP 7.1 upgrade.

But I'm looking into an alternative :

To play MPEG2 (SVCD) files, I've been using Elecard MPEG2 Player 2.0 - but it has it's issues.
So I've on the werge of trying out PowerDVD / WinDVD.
If tose will play MPEG2 better than Elecard, and ASF / WMV as good as / better than WMP7.1 / 8.0. -
I'll surely use on of those instead. That is, until WMP9.0 encoded media may force me to install that one.
I sure hope MPEG-4 will win. MS is good for Windows / Office - not much more, that's my opinion.

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 5
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/20/2002 8:58:52 AM   
KCK

For general info on WMP versions and the infamous Adaptec/Roxio plugin, see

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

WMP 8.0 is XP only, so forget it. On ME, you should be able to remove the Adaptec/Roxio plugin via Add/Remove Programs. I'm not sure any hacks will prevent MS updates from reinstalling it eventually... Definitely stay away from WMP 9.0 for now.

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 6
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/20/2002 10:05:07 PM   
clokkevi

On ME, you should be able to remove the Adaptec/Roxio plugin via Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks for the tip!

I checked there wasn't anything listed in Add/Remove programs -
so I tried to Change/Remove WMP 7.1 *itself*...and of course!

How did I overlook such an obvious way to do it - sigh.. [:I]

There -
"Remove Windows Media components" -> Next

Windows Media Player Skins           0.6 MB
Adaptec CD-Burning Plug-in           4.6 MB
Windows Media Player                 5.8 MB
RCA Lyra Service Provider for WMDM   0.4 MB

Was it because it was so obvious, so I should be able to figure this out by myself,
that you gave these short, non-informative, out-of-topic answers, John?
I'll try not to be as dumb in the future..!

PS. I just checked the link you posted, KCK, and WOW! that looks like a very
complete site on WMP information..!
I bookmarked it immediatly and will go there when I wonder about anything regarding WMP !
BIG thanks again!

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 7
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/20/2002 11:54:23 PM   
KCK

Glad you've got your problem solved. But remember MS updates...

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 8
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/21/2002 1:00:12 AM   
clokkevi

quote:
Originally posted by KCK

But remember MS updates...

Fear no more..!

That super site you mentioned showed me how to make sure all Adaptec CD-R plug-ins
never will be able to get installed through any Media Player installations in the future :

Very simple, it was... you just change a single string value from 0 to 1 - ..this value :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\AdaptecBlock

Once again, thanks for that link!
The site is just propped with info about WMP that I've wondered about for years, and I really love this guy's
"Well-since-Microsoft-won't-do-this-we'll-just-have-to-fix-it-ourselves-then" mentality..!

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 9
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/21/2002 1:33:42 AM   
KCK

Well, somehow I got the feeling he might be closely related to MS. But then he should know their stuff!

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 10
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/22/2002 6:24:35 AM   
clokkevi

He knows their stuff, yes, that's for sure..!

Today, I installed Windows 2000 on an empty harddisc at a girlfriend of mine.
Since she has only modem connection, I had burned cds with all the stuff I thought she might need.

So I installed SP3, DX81b.. and then I looked into the registry to make that AdaptecBlock change,
but then I saw it wasn't there. So, one have to make that string, and then modify it's value to 1.

I was a little nervous when I started the
mp71.exe
afterwards, not really sure if it would block
the installation of the ECDC engine... but then I was really puzzled:

I though the installation would just zooom away, not letting me setting any options - but, no, it stopped nicely,
and showed me all the possible options I had when I should install it... except for the Adaptec CD-Burning,
that option din't show up at all !

So then I understood why this topic has been so strange all from the beginning:

It's only when the Windows Update utility is installing Media Player, that one doesn't get the options
of what to install!

So, I guess some of the people reading this thread have wondered : "What? How come this guy says he didn't get any options to choose when he installed Media Player ? "

Sigh...

[:I]

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 11
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/22/2002 6:41:02 AM   
KCK

If I understood correctly, you employed the registry hack _before_ installing WMP 7.1. This doesn't imply that without the hack, WMP would give you the option of installing the Adaptec/Roxio burning plugin. Well, one could check what happens with a clean W2K installation ... but I'm going to try on my 98SE box, since it's running fine, and any Adaptec/Roxio experimentation is dangerous! So if both your and the girlfriend's systems are OK now, let them live in peace.

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 12
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/22/2002 6:43:08 AM   
KCK

OOOPS! That should have been "I'm not going to try...".

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 13
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/22/2002 7:07:54 AM   
clokkevi

Im not sure if I got your meaning ? - but my new theory is like this:

Installing mp71.exe "manually" : All options - (except ECDC, if "AdaptecBlock=1")

Letting Windows Update install mp71.exe : No options at all. (But ECDC won't be installed if "AdaptecBlock=1")

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 14
RE: WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! - 11/22/2002 4:09:55 PM   
KCK

OK, let's try to clarify the situation for other readers.

If you want to block WMP 7.1 or later (but not 7.0) from ever installing the Adaptec/Roxio CD-Burning Plug-in, you should run the adaptecblock.reg file, which contains the following lines

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup]
"AdaptecBlock"="1"

This will either create the AdaptecBlock keyword in the registry if it is missing (e.g., after a clean Windows installation), or change its value to 1 if it is already there.

If you install WMP 7.1 via Windows Update, you don't get any options on what to install (but the Adaptec/Roxio pluging isn't installed if AdaptecBlock=1).

Now, the question is: If you install WMP 7.1 manually by running mp71.exe, do you get the option of installing the Adaptec/Roxio plugin in each of the following three cases:

(A) The AdaptecBlock keyword is missing (e.g., after a clean Windows
installation);

(B) AdaptecBlock=1 (e.g., after running adaptecblock.reg);

(C) AdaptecBlock is present but not equal to 1.

I thought you had only dealt with case (B) on your girlfriend's system.

(in reply to clokkevi)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> WMP7.1 with ECDC Engine & 2 drivers more - oh NO! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI