CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

ugh! horror story - CMC   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 640 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> ugh! horror story - CMC Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ugh! horror story - CMC - 11/18/2002 4:02:02 AM   
adelphia83

Man am I dissapointed at my latest purchase of CDR discs.

I've been burning CDR's for years, and I've never had a batch like this. Seems before I've always been lucky picking them out.

Early 4X Sony's I bought turned out to be TY... I've got several that are over 5 years old and still ticking...

Later on, I bought a couple spindles of "12X Smart Buy" (turns out they're Prodisc) off Ebay for very cheap. At first glance you'd think they were a crappy CD, but they've held up very well, and recorded nicely. Only negative point, is if you nick the top of CD, it will likely scratch down to the the recording layer.

Purchased some TDK's that were Ritek's, Memorex that turned out to be TY.. etc etc etc. This was back before I knew anything about quality of CDRs. So yeah, you can say I've gotten quite lucky picking them out...

Well couple weeks ago, I see a special at best buy. 50pk of AT&T (again I knew nothing about CDR quality before coming to this board), says they're made by Verbatim for 9.99$ + a 7.00$ rebate.. So I say WTF, verbatim must be good, and I buy them.

What a terrible horrible mistake! I spend more time making coasters (and boy do I have LOTS of them now) than I do making real CDs. I just upgraded to a 16x12x40 cyberdrive, so I blamed that at first. So I throw in the old 4X mitsumi, no sale. Still turning out coaster after coaster. Seems 3 out of 4 of these CD's are worthless... That explains the price I suppose, and the quality of CMC magnetics.

I never knew disc brand could have this big an impact. I just went out today and bought the "made in japan" version of the 16X fujifilms. They look identical to the 4X sony's I bought back in 1997. Thankfully, I've shoved those worthless CMC discs in the closet, and haven't made a frisbee yet.

Just wanted to share my experience and shed some light on CMC discs.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> ugh! horror story - CMC Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI