CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

New vulnerabilities to DoS attacks in Wi-Fi / 802.11 networks Revealed   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 566 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> New vulnerabilities to DoS attacks in Wi-Fi / 802.11 networks Revealed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New vulnerabilities to DoS attacks in Wi-Fi / 802.11 ne... - 8/10/2004 8:56:00 AM   
SiliconFreak

The Wi-Fi Technology Forum/-The use of Wi-Fi / 802.11 wireless networks is steadily increasing despite many studies reporting security problems, Dr. Gianluigi Me, a Professor at the University of Tor Vergata of Rome, Italy and a staff member at the Wi-Fi Technology Forum (Wi-Fi-TF), together with Dr. Francesco Ferreri have just published "New vulnerabilities to DoS attacks in 802.11 networks", a Wi-Fi Security paper highlighting the newly discovered dangers, suggesting remedies and possible defenses.

When you think of DoS (Denial of Service) attacks, you are likely to have in mind the usual disruption to a particular web site having been flooded with millions of requests in the shortest possible time. This action whether malicious or innocent, can slow a site down to a crawl or renders its services unavailable. Some disruption of this sort can however be innocent and can occur as a result of a sudden rise in traffic. 802.11 or Wi-Fi networks DoS attacks present a different picture, altogether probably more lethal than we think.

With the emergence of Wi-Fi Technology, sometimes referred to by such names as Wireless LANs (WLANs), 802.11, Wi-Fi Networks and other traditional names such as wireless networks; are adopted more and more by today's private and public communication networks for their obvious advantages. Cost savings in hardware deployment, freedom of communication by breaking away from wired networks and the "Just In Time" response and feedback that WLANs have to offer, are some of the advantages.

The use of 802.11 wireless networks is steadily increasing despite many studies reporting security problems, mainly related to authentication, privacy and confidentiality issues. Besides that, the peculiar features of the wireless medium suggest a greater exposure to Denial of Service (DoS) attacks than wired networks.

Since the wireless networks do not have well defined physical boundaries, a malicious station can appear in the range of such a network and launch an attack in order to stop any legitimate communication. The aim of this paper is to investigate how this kind of attacks can be carried out. "We identified some simple attack schemes that might lead to a DoS effect and then observed the reaction of various types of infrastructured networks to these attacks", said Dr. Gianluigi Me.

Read more...

Source : Wi-Fi Technology
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> New vulnerabilities to DoS attacks in Wi-Fi / 802.11 networks Revealed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI