CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Open-Mouthed Smiles Forbidden On UK's E-Passports   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1314 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Open-Mouthed Smiles Forbidden On UK's E-Passports Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Open-Mouthed Smiles Forbidden On UK's E-Passports - 8/6/2004 1:33:16 PM   
SiliconFreak

The fight against terrorism has wiped the smile off the face of British passport holders.

The U.K. Passport Service said Friday it will forbid open-mouthed smiles on passport pictures, one of several rules introduced to comply with strict new U.S. standards. Smiles are forbidden--along with sunglasses and hair slanting across the eyes--because they may confuse security cameras used to scan faces and to verify the passport is authentic.

"These new guidelines are an important step in the development of the new biometric e-passport and use of facial recognition technology that will be introduced in 2005 as part of the ongoing fight against fraud and international terrorism," U.K. Passport Service Chief Executive Bernard Herdan said in a statement.

The photo requirement now states that passport pictures must show a person's full face looking straight at the camera, with a neutral expression and with a closed mouth.

New British passports will also be fitted with a chip containing the facial image and other data, high-tech measures introduced to help stamp out passport fraud.

The passport agency has been conducting trials to test the use of IDs that incorporate biometric information, including facial recognition data and iris scans.

Source : Reuters
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Open-Mouthed Smiles Forbidden On UK's E-Passports Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI