CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Free Test Version of UserLinux coming on 1st September   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1158 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Free Test Version of UserLinux coming on 1st September Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Free Test Version of UserLinux coming on 1st September - 8/6/2004 6:12:39 AM   
LinuxMarshall

A test version of a 'free Linux' product intended to give corporate customers the utility of Red Hat Linux but not its price tag, is set for release at the start of September

Beta 1 of UserLinux will be released on 1 September, according to UserLinux founder and open-source advocate Bruce Perens in a talk at the LinuxWorld Conference and Expo in San Francisco. "UserLinux is enterprise Linux without the big price tag," said Perens.

UserLinux has made some progress on its support plan, rounding up a "small stable" of partners to join a planned group of certified companies. But progress in another key area - getting software partners to certify their products to work with the no-cost UserLinux - isn't satisfactory yet, Perens said.

Red Hat, the dominant seller of Linux, requires its customers to purchase a separate support subscription for each server using the software. And while Linux itself can be downloaded for free, Red Hat charges $299 per server per year for support and updates.

Source : CNET News
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Free Test Version of UserLinux coming on 1st September Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI