CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Human Batteries - Power it up Scotty   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 787 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics >> Human Batteries - Power it up Scotty Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Human Batteries - Power it up Scotty - 8/5/2004 6:59:56 AM   
SiliconFreak

Singapore scientists are looking at how the body can generate electricity to run mobile devices

OUT go the batteries and in comes a pair of walking shoes that can power up your MP3 player, mobile phone or digital camera as you go window-shopping in Orchard Road.

This is the dream of National University of Singapore (NUS) and Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA) scientists, who are studying how the body can be used to generate electricity.

One way is to fix some piezo-electric material, in this case ceramic, on the soles of a pair of shoes, said the team's leader, NUS Assistant Professor Adrian Cheok, at a conference on mobile technology yesterday. When the wearer of the shoes walks, the soles press down on the material to produce electricity, he explained.

Enough current can be produced to run portable gadgets such as radio players and watches.

The research has been going on for two years and is nearly complete. Making commercial products out of their work is the likely next step.

The DSTA-funded project will find use in military applications first.

DSTA project manager Choo Hui Wei told The Straits Times yesterday: 'This project was an exploratory research study which aimed to look into the feasibility of tapping the human body as a conducting medium for transmitting data.

'The results from the research have shown potential and we're currently assessing how we can adapt the technology and apply it in the military environment.'

Electricity produced in this manner can even be used for transferring data from one person to another via the skin, said Prof Cheok.

For instance, a handshake can mean an automatic exchange of business cards electronically between the handheld computers of both persons.

The human body thus becomes another device, together with mobile phones and digital entertainment gadgets like MP3 players, in what is called a personal area network (PAN).

The team at NUS works from a laboratory called Mixed Reality. More information about the lab can be found at mixedreality.nus.edu.sg

Since 1996, researchers at IBM, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the United States and other places have been been working on the technology.

The interest now is in harnessing human power to drive the PAN devices.

Yesterday's Mobility Conference, held at the Orchard Hotel, was the first organised by Computer Human Interaction, the Singapore Chapter of the Association of Computer Machinery Special Interest Group.

Other speakers at the three-day conference, which ends tomorrow, shared their research on mobile devices and networks.

Today, Professor Luca Chittaro from the University of Udine in Italy will present a paper on how to make information on mobile devices easier to view.

This is a challenge because while mobile devices like phones and personal digital assistants are getting smaller, a greater volume of information is available on them for viewing, he told The Straits Times.

Another researcher, Professor Zary Segall from the University of Maryland in the US, spoke yesterday about building devices that learn how to work better with humans, to make computing simple.

He said: 'We're trying to see how to make computers more human-literate, rather than making humans computer-literate.'

Source : TST

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 8/5/2004 9:00:35 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Human Batteries - Power it up Scotty - 8/5/2004 8:07:29 AM   
emperor

Ouch!

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
RE: Human Batteries - Power it up Scotty - 8/5/2004 11:58:08 AM   
LinuxMarshall

Huh...interesting...need to get that 5 switch power plug...so when this technology would make it possible to switch it somewhere in our asses :-)) .... that I could switch all I need for my work here (Computer, Monitor, Printer, DSL, Speakers,...)...huh...i better get that 10 hole powerplug extension....5 wont be enough...LOL

Bye my dear Human Batteries! :-))

Mashall off.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 3
RE: Human Batteries - Power it up Scotty - 8/11/2004 2:42:33 PM   
Leviathan

Wow this reminds me the matrix movie!! Machines used humans as batteries!!

It seems that science fiction doesn't exist any more...

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
[Deleted] - 8/11/2004 2:53:13 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Leviathan)
  Post #: 5
RE: Human Batteries - Power it up Scotty - 8/11/2004 2:58:21 PM   
Leviathan

Now the only thing left is the revolution of the machines...

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 6
RE: Human Batteries - Power it up Scotty - 8/11/2004 3:05:47 PM   
Almanac

quote:

Now the only thing left is the revolution of the machines...

Wow man! I can't wait !!!

(in reply to Leviathan)
Post #: 7
RE: Human Batteries - Power it up Scotty - 8/11/2004 3:07:22 PM   
Leviathan

Perhaps it's time to start building underground cities to save ourselves

(in reply to Almanac)
Post #: 8
[Deleted] - 8/12/2004 7:23:10 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Leviathan)
  Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics >> Human Batteries - Power it up Scotty Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI