CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Yahoo & Google Sued!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1563 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Yahoo & Google Sued! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yahoo & Google Sued! - 8/4/2004 9:56:24 AM   
SiliconFreak

"Millions of dollars in ill-gotten gains," apparently

Some gambling ads on Google, Yahoo! and other major websites are illegal in California, according to a new lawsuit.

The 60-page filing, presented in San Francisco Superior Court, alleges that the companies sell rights to web advertisements based on searches for terms such as "illegal gambling," "internet gambling" and "California gambling."

The online businesses also use geotracking software to target particular regions, including California, for illegal gambling ads, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit demands that the companies stop accepting the advertisements and give California "millions of dollars in ill-gotten gains," said attorney Ira Rothken, one of several attorneys from firms involved in the class-action lawsuit.

The suit is the latest to involve internet gambling, which has become a multibillion-dollar-a-year business and is usually focused on online poker or blackjack. Wireless interests, including mobile phone service providers, also offer gambling opportunities to their subscribers.

Yahoo! and Google, in turn, rake in a majority of the millions of dollars gambling firms spend on advertising, according to the lawsuit. Representatives from the two companies did not return a call seeking comment.

In all, about a dozen high-profile web companies are named as defendants. Included among them is CNET Networks, publisher of silicon.com.

Source : CNET News
Post #: 1
RE: Yahoo & Google Sued! - 8/4/2004 7:31:51 PM   
sp_admin

It seems Las Vegas looses a lot of money out of this "new" business...

WM # CdrInfo.com Team

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> Yahoo & Google Sued! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI