CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: PlexTools v2.16 introduces new accuracy scan mode   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1374 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> RE: PlexTools v2.16 introduces new accuracy scan mode Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PlexTools v2.16 introduces new accuracy scan mode - 8/7/2004 12:27:24 PM   
flurpo

Ha, ha,

Nice avitar minos.

Acutally, we just got through testing Plextools and the latest firmware. All testing is indeed done at 2X CLV! The only difference in the Accuracy setting is how much of the disc do you skip when you are testing. At low accuracy you are testing very little of the disc. Very disapointing because we want to use these as a tester in our duplicator--not gonna work! We will have to use Kprobe or DVDinfopro. Bummer, the Plex is a really good drive-except for this.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 17
RE: PlexTools v2.16 introduces new accuracy scan mode - 8/7/2004 3:27:33 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

hey Flurpo,

Keep in mind that if you are thinking about using K-Probe because it is faster, that you may run into problems where discs scan good, but are not actually readable, or have high enough errors as to impede reading at full speed. Remember that neither K-Probe nor Q-Check are capable (hardware limitations, not software) of checking all the types of errors that can affect quality, compatability, and playability, and are not properly calibrated to check for the errors that they CAN test for! So it is not unheard of to run into situations like the ones in the following two links:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/147/5
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/147/6

This is why I personally use several tests on my media, including Q-Check's Jitter, and PIE/POF testing, as well as K-Probe PIE/PIF testing, and a transer rate test on both.

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to flurpo)
Post #: 18
RE: PlexTools v2.16 introduces new accuracy scan mode - 8/9/2004 8:00:06 AM   
Halcyon

It is alarming that PX 2.16 loses statistical accuracy with sparser sampling intervals. This should have been accounted for in the reporting algorithm with statistical estimates.

I agree with Dolphinius that it makes no sense to scan with the lower accuracy mode, as it is currently implemented.

Also, POE errors are supposed to be always higher than PIF.

PIF is a row from an ECC block that is PI level uncorrectable. A Parity Inner Failure that consists of several erroneous bytes.

This means that it has more than one column (several bytes) of data on which there are errors.

Each erroneous column in an ECC block will cause a separate POE (parity outer code error).

Enough erroneus bytes in one column and the POE turns into a POF (parity outer code failure).

So, POE for any block should always be higher than PIF for that same block.

This is at least my understanding of the specification.

regards,
halcyon

< Message edited by Halcyon -- 8/9/2004 3:02:31 PM >

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 19
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> RE: PlexTools v2.16 introduces new accuracy scan mode Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI