CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 688 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 10/30/2002 6:14:10 AM   
raymond07

Hey how is everybody doing? I am an idiot who thought that all cd-r's were the same. That being said, I bought these cool colors (which are way too much) but I've read that memorex is not good....that perhaps converting them to taiyo yuden (sp?) would be worth my time....can somebody tell me if these come from one of the "bad" factories...

specs are

Memorex cool color cd-r
25 pack (spindle)
Made in Taiwan

Please somebody qualified, help me and offer some advice I am counting on these cds lasting a long time..than ks alot
Post #: 1
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/4/2002 1:39:17 AM   
raymond07

Alright, i got the actual cdr specs maybe now someone can help...

speed average- 4.5 x could have more to do with my laptop?
manufacturer - Cmc magnetics
Dye- short strategy- phthalocyanine

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 2
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/4/2002 2:08:12 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

CMC media isn't exactly known as the highest quality among CD-Rs

I'm very interested in what the ATIP for those CD-Rs is though? could you please post it?

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 3
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/4/2002 2:58:47 AM   
raymond07

Yes, I have heard that CMC is not good, but it confuses me because all of my cds have come out fine, and i have read on varius cdr sites that phthalocynanine is the best dye that can be used because it is pure or whatever. Anyways im really unclear as to what makes a cdr good or bad or what, and Im hoping my cds are good because they are expensive 13$ for 25. Anyways I dont know what the Atip is,perhaps you can explain it to me...the specs are as follows.

Atip: 97m 26s 66f

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 4
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/4/2002 3:41:51 AM   
raymond07

and when i say they have come out good, i mean about 500 successful burns...and 0 errors

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 5
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/6/2002 4:26:41 AM   
raymond07

what must a guy do to get an informed reply to his post? bump for bumpings sake

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 6
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/9/2002 1:58:37 AM   
Matthew

The colour CD's sell for a higher price, so they're probably being made on the best lines.

The pile 'em high / sell 'em cheap bulk media could well be made on lines which are past their best - stamper near the end of it's life etc.

Well, for some "oh they're terrible" factories - the branded media is probaly (one hopes) subject to more quality control!

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 7
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/9/2002 2:08:36 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

The reason I asked for the ATIP was to see which CMC media it was, I've seen reports of two different type so far:
Atip: 97m 26s 66f
and
Atip: 97m 26s 60f
between the two, Atip: 97m 26s 66f is notibably better in most cases. (not to say that CMC is in any way high quality, but if you have to have it, 66f is the better one).

ATIP means: Absolute Time In Pre-groove
It's basically a way of identifying the CD-R, the Dye used, usually the manufacturer, stuff like that.

as for the burns, have you run Nero CD Speed on them?

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 8
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/12/2002 11:06:38 AM   
rjw

Imation neon made by CMC Magnetics isn't a good disc. But I have to agree that the black Nashua's made by CMC Magnetic weren't that bad.
The nashua's do have the 66 code. But so do the Imations.
So it isn't completely about stampers and code.

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 9
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/12/2002 11:23:41 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I figured it wouldn't be that easy what really bugs me is that I've had some REALLY good experiences with CMC, but, it's inconsistant [:(!] maybe if I could determine which batches were good....well, it doesn't matter, Prodisc is reliable, available and cheaper anyways! and Ritek makes cool coloured CD-Rs as well!

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 10
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/18/2002 8:45:32 AM   
Blizzard

if u buy memorex, my advice is dun get their cheapest cds, cuz those really do suck. their cool color ones though, i can't be too sure. but what i know from experience is that their black ones r always of hi quality. i've bought around a dozen spindles of those, each containing 25 cds each, and there was only one spindle that has 2 bad cds in it. the rest i've all used without problem. now i say that's a darn good reliability rate. there's also this info on the memorex black cds i found here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/5390. i can't really get the atip info with my burner, cuz none of the atip reading programs work on my comp (even though my aspi is working and updated). i wonder if anyone else has been able to get a memorex black cd's atip. also check out these customers' comments here:http://www.helpfulreviews.com/info/B00005A3JA.html. what they say is really what i've experienced with these memorex blacks

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 11
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/18/2002 1:29:10 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I also have had good experiences with the memorex black CD-Rs, and I would recommend them...though I would much prefer to find their manufacturer and recommend them!

I'll see if I can dig up some old memorex blacks and read their ATIP for you...might be hard though, they're all nicely labeled

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 12
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/18/2002 1:38:58 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Memorex Black CD-R:

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 16s 06f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Memorex Black
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 24X

The Cool Colour CD-Rs come up exactly the same...despite the fact that the CD-R I read was deffinatly Blue, it came up as memorex black LOL!

What software did you use to identify Memorex Cool colours as CMC???
Perhaps we have different stock, as mine don't appear to be CMC...actually, they kinda look like Ritek [?]

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 13
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/18/2002 2:39:45 PM   
rjw

Mitsui also make Cool Color disc's. And from these disc's we know that the work fine except on ASUS burners.

And Dolphinius Rex the Black Memorex disc you posted is made by Ritek. I am 100% sure about that one.

But then again the batches might be made of different manufacturers.

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 14
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/19/2002 2:31:03 AM   
adelphia83

I've never had good luck with CMC discs. I bought a 10 pack of Memorex that turned out to be CMC. Bad luck on my part, 3 out of 5 cd's end up as frisbees.

I also bought a 50pk spindle of AT&T (also CMC) discs, which are even worse (as if it's possible to get any worse). Seems 3/4 cd's are worthless. ATIP on both discs end with 66 (as does your cool colors).

I would stay away from these CD's if I were you. Sure you may be really lucky and your burner might love 'em. But from my experience (and MANY other people I've talked to), it's much more cost effective to go with TY's or Riteks. A good guarantee that you're not getting CMC's are if the product is made in Japan. Then there's a good chance they're TY's. Memorex also boxes TY's that look identical to their CMC discs, only difference is they're made in Japan and not in Taiwain.

Try a few CD's out. If you have good luck, great... But I personally wouldn't COUNT on that data lasting a long long time.

Liteon 52x32x52 Black
NEC 2510A

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 15
RE: Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r - 11/19/2002 5:11:23 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I wouldn't call T.Y. a cost effective solution in most cases! however, they are effective, and that counts for alot. However, I would recommend probably the Ritek cool colour CD-Rs, since they are of good quality and still colourful!

(in reply to raymond07)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Please Shed Some light - memorex cool color cd-r Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI