CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 551 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 - 6/30/2004 4:22:40 PM   
cvs

Hi guys,

guess what I've just found here:

http://www.plextor.jp/download/firmware/px712up.html

Translated with babelfish it reads as:

"Ver. 1.03
The record efficiency improvement of DVD
DVD-R mount time shortening of media
Correction of the trouble which is the times when you recognize DVD+RW which is recorded with other companies as blank
DVD+R DL disk lead/read functional support"

By the way you can officially download this firmware from here:

http://www.plextor.jp/download/internal.html

Nice :) .. if it improves the writing quality on most 8x media (see my post here then I'll be even more pleased ...

Have fun :) No I have not tried it yet, but I'll do it ASAP :)
Post #: 1
[Deleted] - 6/30/2004 4:45:48 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to cvs)
  Post #: 2
[Deleted] - 6/30/2004 5:09:23 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Deleted User)
  Post #: 3
RE: New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 - 6/30/2004 6:59:37 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I'm still not overly impressed with the drive... It does a very poor job of burning Ritek DVD-Rs (G05s) and Optodisc DVDRs. My impressions so far are that the drive is entirely too picky!

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 4
RE: New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 - 7/3/2004 7:29:18 AM   
emperor

Finally the solved the recognize problems with DVD-R and DL media!

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 5
RE: New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 - 7/3/2004 10:28:10 AM   
cvs

Speaking by DVD+R DL read support, I've noticed the following:

1. DVDInfoPro does not show such support as present.
2. The latest Plextools v2.15 do not show support for DL reading either.
3. Also I've updated Nero to the latest version 6.3.1.17, and NeroInfoTool does not indicate support for DL reading either (see this link).

So I wonder if this is just a universal software conspiracy :) or there is a "bug" in the new firmware? I don't have DL media, so I can't see it for myself ... I wonder if any of you tried to read DL media with the new firmware?

Also I've tested the new firmware against my 8x media (Verbatim 8x DVD+/-R, Infinity 8x DVD+R and Datawrite Grey 8x DVD-R) which was written with very poor results with firmware 1.02. I have to say with great sadness that there is no improvement whatsoever with the new firmware for these media. I've posted my Plextools scans HERE, together with some comments.

Taking a look at the pre v1.03 media compatibility list and comparing it against the current one (www.plextor.be) shows up a rather disappointing picture ... especially for DVD+R, just few new 8x compatible media, most of it coming from some manufacturers I haven't heard of in my entire life. The DVD-R list is a bit better in terms of new additions, but still not good enough. Its even worse if one compares the DVD Recommended list ... except one addition for Mitsubishi Chemical 8x DVD+R which now apparently will write at 12x there is absolutely nothing else new !!! Giving that since fw1.01 there have not been any media improvements whatsoever, this is VERY disappointing ... what on earth is Plextor doing??? Well pretty much nothing apparently ... showing a complete disregard for the customers who paid twice as much for a 12x writer which writes perfectly at 4x on 8x media! Both NEC and Pioneer, not to mention few others are pretty much half price and work very well with pretty much whatever you're throwing at them.

After I've complained to Plexor's tech support (Belgium), their answer was something like "let me know your results for writing recommended media". "Great" support! Now it just happens that Plextor recommended media is mostly Maxell, Ricoh, Plextor and TDK which is next to impossible to find here in the UK ... even if you're lucky enough to find it is at best 2x or max 4x certified, and it costs a fortune to buy!

Conclusion: I'm very disappointed by this drive ... it reminds me by the blunder Yamaha did with their 16x CD-RW unit (2100E), which after all turned out to be not quite 16x as advertised ...

I'm looking forward for your upcoming NEC 2510 review ... as a much better alternative. Any idea when this review will be published?

< Message edited by cvs -- 7/4/2004 10:36:45 AM >

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 6
RE: New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 - 7/5/2004 11:53:40 AM   
emperor

csv thanks for your comments and feedback, we will also re-test the 1.03 firmware and let you know. About the supported media list, we were happy enough at our review to see that almost all 4X rated burned at 8X without many problems, for sure 12X writing is very good since very little media codes are supported (and probably won't be fixed, unless media quality permits too)...

I would say that NEC2510A has also a very STRICT media support list for 8X, unless you use hacked firmware...

If only there were some utilities for Plextor drives like for NEC/LiteON users would be more happy...

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 7
RE: New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 - 7/15/2004 2:39:29 PM   
cvs

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

csv thanks for your comments and feedback, we will also re-test the 1.03 firmware and let you know. About the supported media list, we were happy enough at our review to see that almost all 4X rated burned at 8X without many problems, for sure 12X writing is very good since very little media codes are supported (and probably won't be fixed, unless media quality permits too).........

After my critical coments to Plextor, in order to keep things properly ballanced, I've finally addressed the issue of my bad results in my other post here: www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=69

So having sorted that one, I have two more questions:

Any news if fw1.03 added indeed DL read support? No software at this moment (NeroInfo Tool, DVDInfoPro, Plextools) shows such support as being present ... I'm just curious why ....

Any idea when we can expect the NEC 2510 review?

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 8
RE: New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 - 7/15/2004 3:10:55 PM   
wntr

quote:

ORIGINAL: cvs
Any idea when we can expect the NEC 2510 review?

Maybe next week That's what they say for the past 4 weeks

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 9
RE: New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 - 7/15/2004 4:46:03 PM   
emperor

cvs, yes you can now read DL media even with DVD+R DL booktype (and therefore measure it)
cvs/wntr, sorry to keep you waiting, but as you will see, it would worth the wait, we had only to prepare the review but also to make several other interesting things that soon you will notice...

(in reply to wntr)
Post #: 10
RE: New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 - 7/16/2004 2:28:47 AM   
Clint

quote:

ORIGINAL: cvs
Any news if fw1.03 added indeed DL read support? No software at this moment (NeroInfo Tool, DVDInfoPro, Plextools) shows such support as being present ... I'm just curious why ....

I found this too, I am curious why the flag for DL isn't marked in those s/w. Maybe an update of those s/w's is needed...

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> New firmware for Plextor PX-712A just relesed: v1.03 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI