CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Damaged cdr after burning   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 482 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Damaged cdr after burning Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Damaged cdr after burning - 10/1/2002 5:27:57 AM   
sozosp

Following the burning of certain cdrs I ran CDSpeed 2000 1.0 and some of them have 1 or 2 yellow squares which are meant to be "damaged".

Question: Are they damaged due to burning or the cdr was damaged due to production process or my burner does not like them?
The cd is still readable and does not cause any problems.

To clarify this my burner is TEAC CD-W540E and burn Verbatim DataLifePlus 40x or 24x cdrs @upto 40x and all green squares.

Note: I burned the same cdr and data on a LiteOn 32x and was all green.

Here is some cd info:

Manufacturer; Unitech
Code: 97m24s39f
Dye type: 9: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Any thoughts?
Even if there are no damaged marks can you still have errors on the cd?
Post #: 1
RE: Damaged cdr after burning - 10/1/2002 2:47:37 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I consider the CD good as long as there are no unreadable blocks and less then 2% damaged. That's just my personal rule though. Most CDs when burned will have errors on them, it's not unusual (unless they're Taiyo Yudens or simaler).

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to sozosp)
Post #: 2
RE: Damaged cdr after burning - 10/1/2002 6:30:03 PM   
rjw

I consider bad media. Since TEAC has excellent writing Quality. If it was a different brand (Lite On / Acer) I would have said incompatibility but not for TEAC.
About errors burned on cd's I can state that the only disc's that I have burned with my plextor Plexwriter 24/10/40A and that did contain errors were low quality media. Any decent brand never gave me an error if the writting went correct. (Still it is true that allmost one complete box of TDK(TY) failed when being written)
With my Philips 3610 I have one philips(TY) disc with a yellow spot(damaged) and much CMC cd-r's. However this TY disc isn't fair to count since it was burned when the drive was allmost dead and wouldn't burn most disc's any more except for Mitsui disc's.

Manufacturers that gave errors after writing were:
CMC,Acer (but only after burning more than 78:30 minutes of audio or data), Plasmon, Lead Data, MBIL

My policy is zero errors even after 5 weeks outside.

(in reply to sozosp)
Post #: 3
RE: Damaged cdr after burning - 10/2/2002 4:31:31 AM   
sozosp

quote:
That's just my personal rule though. Most CDs when burned will have errors on them, it's not unusual (unless they're Taiyo Yudens or simaler).

Do you mean that Taiyo Yuden are the best quality cdr around? If yes under what brand names are being sold?

quote:
I consider bad media. Since TEAC has excellent writing Quality. If it was a different brand (Lite On / Acer) I would have said incompatibility but not for TEAC.

I agree with rjw, I burnt verbatim, sony and mitsui gold and I had no errors. All of the above cdrs are certified with TEAC cdrw, so does the Taiyo Yuden but I have no idea under what brands they are sold in.

Sozos the Greek Down Under

(in reply to sozosp)
Post #: 4
RE: Damaged cdr after burning - 10/2/2002 6:01:30 AM   
Graffitti

Well.. I can't tell you where to find the TYs in australia, but in the US, they're Fujis, some TDK, and some Memorex.

I want to play with some Mitsui discs, but I can't get my paws on them through the usual retail channels here in the US where CDRs go on sale quite often.

(in reply to sozosp)
Post #: 5
RE: Damaged cdr after burning - 10/2/2002 6:54:19 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:
Originally posted by Graffitti
I want to play with some Mitsui discs, but I can't get my paws on them through the usual retail channels here in the US where CDRs go on sale quite often.

My store sells lot's, check out my webpage. We'll ship them if you're interested.

(in reply to sozosp)
Post #: 6
RE: Damaged cdr after burning - 10/2/2002 7:20:11 AM   
Graffitti

how much, and how much's the damage on the shipping.

*puts on kevlar armor plated vests and helment.

(in reply to sozosp)
Post #: 7
RE: Damaged cdr after burning - 10/2/2002 12:29:32 PM   
rjw

Well Mitsui allways seems to be expensive.
Then again Mitsui Gold (gold ultra for European users) seems to be the overall best disc. Only some newer models of Asus and Lite On have errors. While most other drives score really low. The disc's will last very long and also they are really good scratch resistant.
One bad point is really the price. I can buy three times as much TY or Mitsubitshi Chemicals discs for the price of Mitsui Gold disc.

Hey the Sony disc's could have made by TY. The Sony disc's made by Mitsui and TY have the more dark yellow packages. While with the Sony ones the yellow is more greenish. However Sony mitsui's are very rare these days.

Dolphinus Rex if the webside of enovation media belongs to your store. Then why o why do I don't see the Mitsui and TY disc's.
I might be going blind these days.

(in reply to sozosp)
Post #: 8
RE: Damaged cdr after burning - 10/2/2002 2:27:17 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Graffitti: It depends on how many you want and of what type. We sell Mitsui 74min CD-Rs With the Mitsui name factory labled on them, and those are 24x I think (Though I burned an audio CD on one at 40x just fine). We also have the protective layer un-branded Mitsui's 80min 32x (might be 40x, have to check tomorrow morning at work LOL). I'm not gonna quote you a price on here, if you want me to quote you a price, e-mail me at gregory@enovationmedia.com and we can discuss it. I CAN tell you that our prices always drop when shipping to people outside B.C. it's store policy :)

(in reply to sozosp)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Damaged cdr after burning Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI