CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X)   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1570 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/14/2004 11:02:33 AM   
Daemos

Hi I have a Plextor PX-708A and my brother uses a LG-4040B.

Since Ritek has been taking a quality dive lately, (I am almost finished using the 100 Pack of Ritek 4X Aritas) I will soon need to purchase more DVD+Rs.

I was looking on blankmedia.ca and the only other disc there that I know are the TY discs, although I don't mind spending the extra money to get them, I need to knwo if there is a better price/performance option out there. (As teh Riteks are really cheap compared to other brands)

I'm looking to use these for LONG term storage in CD/DVD binders.
Post #: 1
[Deleted] - 5/14/2004 11:05:09 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Daemos)
  Post #: 2
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/14/2004 11:30:37 AM   
Daemos

*sigh*

Yea guess I'm shelling out the extra dough to get the better media.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 3
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/14/2004 12:31:19 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Hey Daemos,

If you are stuck on burning at 8x, then you need either Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, or Mitsubishi made media. However, depending on your burner, 6x might be an option, and a lot more media will burn ok at 6x then 8x.

Where about's in Canada are you anyways? I might be able to recommend places near you (also, let me know what drive you're using please)

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Daemos)
Post #: 4
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/14/2004 5:27:24 PM   
Daemos

I live in Winnipeg (middle of no where)

I've already stated the drives I use are the Plextor PX-708A and the LG 4040B

I'm only looking to buy guarnteed "A+" quality discs. Since ritek has been flaky lately, I'm looking for alternatives for long term backup/storage purposes :)

It really doesn't matter if it burns @ 8X or not, if it burns at something slightly faster than 4X I'll be happy :)

Just looking for sensible alternatives from the 4X Ritek Arita +R discs...they're only $1.30 a piece, where the TY 4X +Rs are $2.15 a piece.

Not really in a hurry right now (I still have about 35Discs left) but I'm doing a back up of a couple harddrives soon so those discs will probally no longer exist :)

< Message edited by Daemos -- 5/14/2004 5:29:34 PM >

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 5
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/14/2004 6:21:56 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Oops! Don't know how I missed that! LOL

Anyways, for starters, if you only want 'A' Grade discs, never buy Arita, since Arita is Ritek's 'B' grade brand name, and you'll never get better then 'B' grade from a disc with Arita on it.

If you really want top quality, deffinatly stick with Taiyo Yuden or Mitsubishi. Good quality, but not top end quality would be Prodisc and Optodisc. www.blankmedia.ca has all 4 types usually, so they probably are the best for you for the moment.

(in reply to Daemos)
Post #: 6
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/14/2004 6:47:36 PM   
Daemos

Can't find the Mitsu or the Prodiscs

But the Optodisc would they be better than the Riteks?

Post #: 7
[Deleted] - 5/14/2004 7:51:54 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Daemos)
  Post #: 8
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/14/2004 11:55:29 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daemos

Can't find the Mitsu or the Prodiscs

But the Optodisc would they be better than the Riteks?

The Prodisc is right under the Princo DVDRs. Sorry, I forgot that their Verbatim media had turned out to be more Ritek!

Is Optodisc better then Ritek? That's hard to answer! It's pretty close in my opinion, but since I've been going on K-Probe scans to base my opinions on, I'm not 100% sure anymore. From experience, I have never had any problems... not even 1. However, I haven't used that Many Optodiscs yet, and they've mostly been the 4x DVD-Rs. Why not pick up 1-5pcs or so, and try them out? (don't try burning 4x Optodisc media at 8x though)

(in reply to Daemos)
Post #: 9
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/15/2004 2:35:41 AM   
Daemos

not to sound n00bish (which I am) but what is a "K-Probe" scan? And what does it test/do?

Maybe I'll just keep buying Tayo Yudens for now...

Post #: 10
[Deleted] - 5/15/2004 7:35:11 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Daemos)
  Post #: 11
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/15/2004 8:00:11 AM   
emperor

quote:

ORIGINAL: minos
With Kprobe you can check the writing quality on a disc after burn it. It measures PI errors and PO uncorrectable errors and as you can understand you see whether a disc in combination with your drive is good or not. But you need a LiteOn drive for running Kprobe. It is a very simple application.

Actually measures PI and PIF (PI Failures) not PO!

Post #: 12
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/15/2004 3:33:34 PM   
MP3Mogul

Actually KProbe 2.0 DOES test PO uncorrectable errors! I use it myself!

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 13
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/16/2004 1:46:30 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: MP3Mogul

Actually KProbe 2.0 DOES test PO uncorrectable errors! I use it myself!

Umm, no I think it just marks unreadable sectors, which are much more often a problem with push/pull then anything else. These are not in actual fact PO errors though, but can be caused by a PO error.

Don't bother with K-Probe scanning though, recent tests done on this very webpage have shown them to be pretty much useless. The best you can do is use Nero CD Speed to do a transfer rate test on your disc, and see how smooth the readability is.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 14
[Deleted] - 5/16/2004 7:05:35 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

Post #: 15
RE: Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) - 5/16/2004 9:56:41 AM   
emperor

KProbe (and LiteOn drives) do report PI and PIF errors not PO errors, there is a chance that other drives can report POF errors, KProbe scans may be useful when you are using a selected and carefully compared reader with known results from a reliable source, like SA300 for example.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Need good Alternative to Ritek DVD+R (to burn @ 8X) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI