CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

What is the sound of a degraded CD-R?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 398 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> What is the sound of a degraded CD-R? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What is the sound of a degraded CD-R? - 5/12/2004 2:32:54 PM   
markl

Hi,
I understand that over time, even the best CD-Rs such as my Taiyo Yudens (which are rated allegedly for a 100 year life) will degrade, and that 100 year ratings are "optimistic" at best. I also understand that as a new medium, no one *really* knows how long CD-Rs will last and that only time will really tell.

Still, speaking as an anal-retentive audiophile who now has a lot of music stored on this potentially fragile medium, I'm worried, and I want to understand how I will recognize if/when my CD-Rs are beginning to degrade. Will it be the case that one day, my CD player simply won't be able to read them at all, or will it be some sort of gradual degradation, where individual bits of sound are lost slowly but surely, leading to a disc that can still be played back, but with less and resolution, less and less bits of information, and less and less fidelity? Or is there increased jitter, increased errors, or what?

In other words, what does an aging, degrading CD-R sound like? Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: What is the sound of a degraded CD-R? - 5/12/2004 4:32:31 PM   
emperor

As far i understand, time will eventually lead to higher error rate, increased jitter and of course physical problems, the so called "aging problems", the media could be eventually destroyed

(in reply to markl)
Post #: 2
[Deleted] - 5/12/2004 5:16:19 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to emperor)
  Post #: 3
RE: What is the sound of a degraded CD-R? - 5/12/2004 6:24:49 PM   
emperor

Minos, yes you are correct, perhaps he can give us more details about this, while searching around the net found several side effects:

* How Permanent is CD-R Media?
"...All dyes, but cyanine dyes in particular, change in three ways during aging. First, contrast between the pits and lands changes: this has influence on the reflectivity, which in turn causes interpretation problems. Second, the shapes of pits and lands become smaller and longer causing higher jitter. Third, bleeding of the dye from neighboring grooves causes higher crosstalk..."

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 4
RE: What is the sound of a degraded CD-R? - 5/12/2004 8:04:49 PM   
Cal 01

I have 4.5 GB of music stored on Verbatim DataLifePlus CDR and CD/RW disc and have been stored for about two (2) or three (3) years now -- I know that's not a long time either. I haven't had a problem so far in those music files being degraded! BTW, I've heard of an application that claims to stop this degrading process, and you can check it out here to see it, it's called "ByteGuardian:" http://www.macecraft.com/

< Message edited by Cal 01 -- 5/12/2004 9:34:17 PM >

"What you don't know WILL hurt you in time!"

Regards
Cal
clawso1

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 5
RE: What is the sound of a degraded CD-R? - 5/13/2004 7:45:00 AM   
Tony Veglis

The lonegevity is strongy related to the storage conditions. Keep your discs away from dust, high temperatures and humidity. This way you avoid surface damages and dye / reflector weathering.

(in reply to Cal 01)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> What is the sound of a degraded CD-R? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI