CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

CDs Exploding   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1459 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> CDs Exploding Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CDs Exploding - 9/29/2002 10:03:02 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

First off, I have never had a CD explode on me. I have however, seen an increasing number of reports of this sort of thing happening, and I wanted to know if anybody out there had had a CD explode on them?

I've noticed it almost ALWAYS happens in a 52x CD-Rom (when not caused by human stupidity that is....like dropping a CD-Rom in full spin cycle). I havn't noticed anything to point to it being either the CD-Roms fault, or the CD itself's. Some people (I've read) believe the 52x AOpen to be particularily prone to this sort of thing....being that I own that particular model, I would like other's opinions on it!

oh yeah, one more thing. None of the reports have been about CD-Rs (or RWs), they've always been store bought CDs...that's even more scarey actually!
Post #: 1
RE: CDs Exploding - 9/29/2002 10:39:43 PM   
300B

Must be a new copy protection:

Try to extract 'em, they blow up!!

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 2
RE: CDs Exploding - 9/29/2002 10:56:17 PM   
Laffin Assassin

LOL !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

Post #: 3
RE: CDs Exploding - 9/30/2002 12:08:26 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

don't give the MPAA and RIAA any MORE ideas! eek, that would suck! LOL!

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

Post #: 4
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/3/2002 3:27:54 AM   
BillyG

From what I have read if a CD is craked, warped or has a off-center hole punch, it will cause the CD-Rom drive to vibrate at high speeds and throw the CD off the holding spindle!

I saw one pic on a website where the exploding CD blew the door right off the drive! I'm glad I wasnt there to see it happen. I wonder what will happen if drives get even faster. Someone's gonna get decapitated by flying CD's!

Post #: 5
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/3/2002 3:32:33 AM   
BillyG

Post #: 6
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/3/2002 5:06:27 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Hrm, so a CD will explode at 25,000 RPM, and a 52X CD-ROM Spins at 20,000 RPM.....that's good to know! but that means that even a little imperfection on the CD, and it could go boom at 20,000! that's kinda scarey!

Post #: 7
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/3/2002 2:14:53 PM   
Clint

quote:
Originally posted by Dolphinius_Rex

Hrm, so a CD will explode at 25,000 RPM, and a 52X CD-ROM Spins at 20,000 RPM.....that's good to know! but that means that even a little imperfection on the CD, and it could go boom at 20,000! that's kinda scarey!

What???? A 52X CD-ROM spins at NO WHERE NEAR 20,000RPM.

[?][?][?]

Post #: 8
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/3/2002 4:27:20 PM   
Laffin Assassin

I will agree with Clint on this Issue the average speed that a 52x CD-Rom will spin at is 10,400rpm !!!

Post #: 9
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/3/2002 6:07:00 PM   
BillyG

quote:
Originally posted by Laffin Assassin

I will agree with Clint on this Issue the average speed that a 52x CD-Rom will spin at is 10,400rpm !!!

Still thats dammmed fast - and some CD-R's have had sharp rough edges that can cut fingers. CMC (cheaply made crap) and many generic CD-R's are bad about this!

I hope those manufacturers beef up their mechanisms for higher speeds with bad CD's when they crank the speed up past 60x.

Post #: 10
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/3/2002 8:38:45 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi BillyG
You Say " I hope those manufacturers beef up their mechanisms for higher speeds with bad CD's "

Yamaha and Plextor Writers are already strong enough and will not need beefing up as for some of the Others you will probably give you a free Flack Jacket with there new Writers !!!

Post #: 11
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/3/2002 9:49:54 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Laffin: 10,400 does sound a lot better! I read 20,000rpm on another CD-R forum site. I guess the person was misinformed [?]

BillyG: Since when are ANY CDs sharp??? I deal with literally hundreds of CDs every day, most of which are CMC but also Prodisc, Ritek, Mitsui, T.Y., Princo, and DST, and NONE of them have EVER been anywhere even close to sharp. Where are you getting these "sharp" CDs? ....actually, I could think of some very good uses for some.....LOL!

Post #: 12
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/4/2002 8:35:07 PM   
saloeun

i actually had that happened once on my crw-f1. the craziest thing i'v seen. i had a pressed music cd in there and it was spinning and when i pressed the eject button i heard a sharp sound and the drive wouldn't eject. had to restart the pc and when the tray came out the cd was half out of the tray. it was scratched to hell so basically i can't even play it anymore. don't even know who to complain to:( i mean what manufacturer is gonna believe that a cd just flew off the little spindle thingie. ah well thats the last time i pay for a music cd :P jk

Post #: 13
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/4/2002 11:18:15 PM   
BillyG

quote:
Originally posted by Dolphinius_Rex

BillyG: Since when are ANY CDs sharp??? I deal with literally hundreds of CDs every day, most of which are CMC but also Prodisc, Ritek, Mitsui, T.Y., Princo, and DST, and NONE of them have EVER been anywhere even close to sharp. Where are you getting these "sharp" CDs? ....actually, I could think of some very good uses for some.....LOL!

Yeah CD-Rs for Shrukins! I think it would be cool to see a CD-R shaped like a buzz saw.

Last year I bought some crap generic CD-R's that were made by CMC where you could see little flakes of plastic still left on the edges. The edges were really rough. They might have gotten warped or something but they worked OK for burning non-critical things.

They wernt knife sharp but if one came flying out of a CD-Rom drive it could cause some serious damage.

Post #: 14
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/5/2002 1:48:43 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

saloeun: Well, that does help me in my search for why CDs explode. It narrows the field down to CD quality in most cases. I know that the crw-f1 is a really high quality burner, and it is most likely the CD's fault in that case....unless you were shaking your computer tower when it happened LOL! but most likely it was a result of poor quality media being produced by the record companies....and THEY want us to PAY for it STILL!?!?! HA!

BillyG: WOW! the only time I've even heard of such crappy quality is from Princo or from Cicero. I've never heard anything about CMC having such low quality media (yes I know they have C1+C2 errors...I meant in a physical way). If anyone tried to sell my store CDs like that, we'd stop buying from them! but thanks for the info!

Post #: 15
RE: CDs Exploding - 10/5/2002 2:57:01 AM   
saloeun

actually it was a pressed music cd mc ren's ruthless for life. i don't actually listen to it anymore anyway i was just gonna rip one song to my hd. its a shame though

oh and i wasn't shaking the drive...but that does remind me when i had my creative 52x a long time ago. i turned the pc on its side while it was spinning and it screwed the cd up good. of course that was my fault but the yamaha one just seemed to happen. the cd was spinning pretty fast though

Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> CDs Exploding Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI