CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1003 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 5/30/2004 4:05:11 PM   
emperor

quote:

1. If you have a decent CD wrtier and just want a great DVD writer than can (back up Movies, PC Software and Movies authoring etc). Which one should you go for the NEC 2510, Sony DL or the Liteon DL.

That depends i guess now you can buy NEC 2510A for some higher bucks instead of NEC 2500A. If you decide to get Sony/LiteOn prefer LiteOn cause are exactly the same drives and its cheaper.

quote:

When some Blank DVD's a person was talking about the different dyes and the brand compatibility with the drive some brands do not work with some writers and you have to know which brand to buy did the same problem occur for CD writers when they first came out?

That usually depends...DVD players have several margins and usually branded media will work best with DVD writers, producing good discs and therefore good compatibility.

quote:

When writing DVD's now with drives that can write +R and - R which one do people prefer to use and why?

Again that depends, some time ago, prices of DVD+R were like 2X times of DVD-R so there weren't many doubts. Also DVD-R is more compatible with DVD players, as our study showed, especially with older models, the currently sold players shouldn't have any problem using either any of the two formats. The +R format seems to have a slight advantage in terms of writing speeds with 12X shipping, while the -R format expected to boost 16X at September.

quote:

When backing up movies and playng them on a PS2 which format is best +r -r?

Again using either format shouldn't be a problem...

(in reply to yoyomonkey)
Post #: 33
[Deleted] - 5/30/2004 6:14:20 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to yoyomonkey)
  Post #: 34
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 5/30/2004 7:39:29 PM   
yoyomonkey

Many thanks for all your help guys. you have all been absolute stars. Minos, Emperor and the rest you have been terrific and please keep up the good work.

The only reason i was interested in DL was the price really I can get a 2500 NEC for approximately £60 and for a 2510 it costs £65. A small difference and i may get a discount as well.

I would like to wait till september for faster drives etc but i am sure something newer will be around the corner. I do need a writer now.

When i do actually get my hands on one if there is anything i can do please let me know.

Thanks again

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 35
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 5/31/2004 6:26:35 PM   
emperor

Then grab a NEC 2510A and you will be happy

(in reply to yoyomonkey)
Post #: 36
[Deleted] - 6/1/2004 5:07:51 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to emperor)
  Post #: 37
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 6/2/2004 12:16:14 PM   
yoyomonkey

Many thanks Minos and Administrator.

Just purchased a Nec-2510A for £50 OEM version. Thanks for the info and all the help if there is anything i can do please do let me know:)

Cheers again

jazz

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 38
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 6/2/2004 6:16:35 PM   
emperor

Great! Test this baby and let us know

(in reply to yoyomonkey)
Post #: 39
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 6/4/2004 2:22:53 PM   
Grendizer

So you guys don't know UFO Robot Grendizer.
French name is Goldorak, I think spanish name is Goldrake or something similar.

The DVD box set are just out in Japan, you can see them in the bottom of this page.

And Minos is the name of one of the most deadly ennemies of Grendizer ...

the joke is not so funny when you have to explain ;)

Tobe! Grendizer

Post #: 40
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 6/4/2004 3:59:28 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Well thank you for that piece of useless information !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to Grendizer)
Post #: 41
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 6/4/2004 8:32:32 PM   
emperor

I think its like some cartoon, transformers, or something

(in reply to Laffin Assassin)
Post #: 42
[Deleted] - 6/4/2004 8:37:24 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to emperor)
  Post #: 43
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 6/26/2004 10:48:32 AM   
jbelder

Nec 2500A

(in reply to gabbysdad)
Post #: 44
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 6/26/2004 1:32:02 PM   
kogos

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbelder

Nec 2500A

same here

(in reply to jbelder)
Post #: 45
[Deleted] - 6/26/2004 7:15:44 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to kogos)
  Post #: 46
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 6/27/2004 9:49:43 AM   
Azazel

I've just read through this thread, and the consensus seems to be different burners for different uses, so I'll just ask the same question and let you know my needs:

I'll be transferring and editing holiday DV videos to DVD, so family etc can watch them.
I'll be backing up PS2 games occasionally.
I'll be backing up DVD movies a fair bit. Both Region 1 and 4.

I was briefly looking at the Lite-On SOHW-832S, but having read up and seeing that Dual-Layer is realistically several months to a year away, I can just buy a new burner when the prices all drop appropriately.

I was going to buy the Pioneer DVR-107 but I've seen some recommendations for the NEC 2500 and/or other NEC drives.

Ideally I'd like to buy it asap (like 12 hours from now) so if anyone has any advice or thoughts, feel free to shoot.

Also, would a retail box for any of the above drives be significantly better than OEM?

Apologies, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to issues like RPC unlocking, bios flashing and so forth (I know what they mean, just no idea how to do them or where to find or download the programs).

thanks for any help,

Azazel

Also, any advice on specific media to use with the burners of choice would be great. I know that both Shintaro and Princo DVDs are available locally at a decent price, any thoughts on either of those on the above writers?

< Message edited by Azazel -- 6/27/2004 9:53:51 AM >

Post #: 47
RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? - 6/27/2004 10:07:30 AM   
emperor

Azazel welcome to our forums, what you want to do can be done by almost all DVD recorders, its just a media/software combination.

LiteON 832S is a cheap choice and offers many unique tools (firmware tweaks, RPC1 hack, KProbe scanning etc...).

(in reply to Azazel)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Which DVD+-R/RW drive to buy? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI