CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 674 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Copy >> Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 5:27:13 AM   
Max39

Dear all,

I've just bought a new PC with DVD writer and wanted to use Nero to back-up my DVD's... I'm a complete novice and had never done this before, but the message i get for all my attempts to copy any of my DVD's says "this DVD is copy-protected and canot be read". I'm a litle frustrated as the PC manufacturer's advert hails the DVD writer as the way to back-up all my DVD's!

Can anyone help? thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 5:45:28 AM   
sp

First, you will need to defeat CSS and DVD authentication.
Since I know about this proccess only in theory, I hope some other knowleadgable reader of our forum will soon enlighten us on it.

WM # CI

(in reply to Max39)
Post #: 2
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 5:57:44 AM   
Max39

Thanks SP.

Can anyone else help with this?

Thanks.

(in reply to sp)
Post #: 3
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 6:13:01 AM   
MP3Mogul

You will need a few tools to backup your DVD's. I suggest using DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink. You can get them at www.dvddecrypter.com and www.dvdshrink.org respectively.

Other than those a DVD Mastering program such as Nero will be needed to do your actual writing.

(in reply to Max39)
Post #: 4
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 8:28:45 AM   
Max39

Thanks MP3Mogul... have now got DVD Shrink which presumably will then enable me to simply burn with Nero? if I'm using DVD Shrink will I also have to use DVD Decrypter, or this simply an alternative to DVD Shrink?

Thanks again... I'll let you know if this works!

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 5
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 8:42:07 AM   
Jimmys

quote:

ORIGINAL: Max39
If I'm using DVD Shrink will I also have to use DVD Decrypter, or this simply an alternative to DVD Shrink?

Yes DVD decrypter needed too

(in reply to Max39)
Post #: 6
[Deleted] - 5/3/2004 8:48:17 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Jimmys)
  Post #: 7
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 9:02:40 AM   
Max39

Thanks - so where does DVD Decrypter fit into the process after have used DVDShrink... Can anyone tell me what, exactly? Thanks for everyone's help so far.

(in reply to Jimmys)
Post #: 8
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 9:07:30 AM   
Jimmys

Do you allready have the 2 programmes?
DVd decrypter will allow you to trabsfer the video files to your hard disk while dvd shrink will compress them to fit in one dvd

(in reply to Max39)
Post #: 9
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 9:31:03 AM   
Max39

Yes, I now have both programmes. actually i have now used DVD Shrink and it was succesful on a very long movies of 160+ minutes, and copying all menus! I didn't even turn on DVd decrypter... so does DVd decrypter just work automatically and quietly in the background without me having to do anything? Or was I just lucky?!

Thanks for everyone's help.

(in reply to Jimmys)
Post #: 10
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 1:00:25 PM   
vbguru_12000

Yes, the newer versions of DVDShrink will decrypt for you. DVDDecrypter is now not needed and I haven't used it for a few months ago.

I'm no longer afiliated with this forum. If you need professional help find me at http://digital-burn.net

(in reply to Max39)
Post #: 11
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 4:55:00 PM   
emperor

I didn't knew this about latest DVDShrink version can defeat CSS protection, isn't that supposed to be "illegal"? Maybe you have to install AnyDVD before using direct DVDShrink from DVD-ROM?

(in reply to vbguru_12000)
Post #: 12
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 5:05:48 PM   
vbguru_12000

Nope, I don't know when they did it but I haven't used DVD Decrypter for a month now.

I'm no longer afiliated with this forum. If you need professional help find me at http://digital-burn.net

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 13
[Deleted] - 5/3/2004 6:00:33 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to vbguru_12000)
  Post #: 14
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 6:35:30 PM   
MP3Mogul

Yes, I mostly use Shrink to do the entire job, and Nero to burn. There are a few limitations to this however.... Shrink doesn't like scratched media at "all" and it will return an error code, when Decrypter doesn't have this problem.

Also, I have ran across 3 DVD's that Shrink would simply not decrypt, but using Decrypter I was able to make backups.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 15
RE: Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible - 5/3/2004 6:44:54 PM   
vbguru_12000

I have yet to come across any of these issues, thanks for the heads up.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Copy >> Write-protection problem - Back-up of DVD not possible Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI