CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

LTR-48125W problems   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 877 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> LTR-48125W problems Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LTR-48125W problems - 9/6/2002 7:46:44 PM   
Streetwolf

I just replaced my old Yamaha CDRW with the Lite-On LTR-48125W.

It seems that every CD I burn has errors when I use Nero Speed CD to check them. It runs into the hundreds of thousands.

I've been using Phillips 40x CDR's. I've burned from 32x to 48x.

When I burned the CDR that came with the Lite-On i got a few hundered errors. Better but still not perfect.

I've used both Nero and CDRWIN to burn.

Commercial CD's always come up clean with Speed CD.

I burned a Memorex 4X CDRW and that came up clean!

When I validate/check the files on the CD they are usually OK. However it can take forever to read one of these CDR's due to all the errors on them. The drive will periodically speed up and slow down to a crawl.

I am using DMA mode 2 under XP Pro. Primary Slave.

Is it the media I am using or is the drive faulty? Should all burned CD's have NO errors?

Your help will be appreciated.

Post #: 1
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/6/2002 9:16:26 PM   
Streetwolf

OK. I just tried two other brands of CD-R's.
Memorex 40X and Maxell Pro 40X.

Memorex gave me a few thousand errors. Maxell gave me about 350 errors.

Is it normal to have errors on a CD-R especially when burning at high speeds?

Streetwolf

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 2
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/7/2002 5:08:28 PM   
AdrianK

I have the exact drive. I'm getting errors too when I read written cds. I don't get alot of errors, instead, more severe ones (CRC-errors).

I'm using 40x certified blanks (Memorex & Ritek)

I think it's unacceptable. My hp 12x drive never gave any errors on written cds. I will ask for a refund. Perhaps get a plextor.

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 3
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/8/2002 11:29:02 AM   
chung_chang

Same drive. Same problem. Maybe our drives are not faulty. I am hoping a new firmware will fix it.

I have tried the following:

* Format and clean install of WinXP Pro w/SP1
* NERO 5.5.9.9, 5.5.9.0, 5.5.8.2
* With or without Intel Application Accelerator 2.22 (845D chipset)
* VS04 and VS06 firmware
* Primary slave, secondary single, secondary master w/slave, secondary slave with master
* GQ, Memorex, Fuji(Taiyu), Mitsui, MediaPro CD-R medias
* Burn at speeds: 48x, 40x, 32x, 24x, 16x

All of the above resulted in CD-Speed ScanDisc errors. Although, most of these errors are corrected by the burner on Read, my standalong DVD Player picks up these errors as blocks on my TV. The only way I could burn without errors is to burn at 4x.

Fortunately, I have my old Liteon 24102B. I installed it as a second burner in my PC with the same settings above and all medias burned at 24x without a single error. DVD player plays them perfectly.

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 4
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/9/2002 3:46:27 PM   
Streetwolf

I've just about had it with this drive.

I used a 10x CDRW and burned a CUE/BIN at 10X or whatever SMARTBURN is using.

Now I get unrecoverable errors in addition to regular errors. We're talking millions and millions of errors. Reading goes down to less then 1X!!!

Don't you think it's got to be a bad drive?

Streetwolf

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 5
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/10/2002 11:22:56 AM   
Clint

I dunno... Not so bad problems with my LTR-48125W, but then again I always use quality media [^]

Guys, try Taiyo Yuden media, and latest firmware VS06 and always leave SMART-BURN on. Also try the very latest Nero (5.5.9.9) and CloneCD.

If you are doing all that, maybe you do have a defective unit, wouldn't suprise me.

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 6
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/10/2002 2:39:56 PM   
Streetwolf

I'm doing everything that everyone is recommending! Using SMARTBURN, TY media, burning at a lower speed etc. I can still only burn error free at 4X.

Streetwolf

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 7
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/10/2002 4:21:28 PM   
chung_chang

Let me just be real clear on the problems I am having:

* Burning speeds above 4x on any media (including TY) will result in many errors (damage shown in yellow blocks) under NERO CD-Speed
* These "damages" are mostly handled by the burner during Read in my PC so the CDs "appear" to be "good". But they cause problems in my Dell laptop CD-ROM, my friend's Compaq laptop DVD-ROM, my standalone DVD player and my 2 other friend's 3 different DVD players.
* If I use my old Liteon 24102B in the same PC with everything else being the same, all of my medias (including TY) burn at 24x error-free. They all show up 100% clean (all green blocks) under NERO CD-Speed. They all work in any CD-ROM, DVD-ROM and DVD players that I have access to.
* Only way I can burn 100% "clean" CD with 48125W is if I burn at 4x for any of my medias (including TY).

Streetwolf and I have the same problems. Here are our similarities:

* Windows XP PRO
* Using TY medias
* Getting errors at all burning speeds above 4x

As stated before, I have already tried the following:

* NERO 5.5.9.9
* With or without SP-1 for WinXP
* With or without latest Intel IDE driver (Application Accelerator 2.22)
* VS06 and VS04 BIOS's
* With or without Smart-Burn turned on

I have posted my problems on Liteon's discussion forum and someone there suggests this may be a WinXP PRO issue. Does anyone else here use WinXP PRO and can verify that your burned CD's come up clean (all green blocks) under NERO CD-Speed? Also, if this indeed is a WinXP PRO issue, it still does not explain why my old Liteon 24102B works fine in the same PC.

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 8
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/10/2002 4:28:52 PM   
Clint

I very much doubt it's because of WinXP... Try more brands, Ritek, even CMC, Maxell, TDK etc.

It looks as if you guys both have defective units, with so many drives produced, and less stringent quality control of the company, such 'lemons' can be expected. Try return get a new drive, or even refund if you can/want.

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 9
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/11/2002 6:09:57 PM   
Streetwolf

I give up!

I can't even burn without errors at 4X!!!!

Doesn't even pay to return the POS with shipping charges and a 20% restocking fee.

Streetwolf

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 10
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/11/2002 7:32:42 PM   
crazed burner

chung_chang ... if you think it may be a WinXP PRO issue, why keep flogging the same dead horse. Try a test run of your writer in WIN98SE or WIN2000SE.

It is unlikely that the Lite-On LTR-48125W writers are duds as many other reputable companies rebadge them as their own and many owners in other forums have given them 10 out of 10 scores.

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 11
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/12/2002 3:23:35 AM   
chung_chang

quote:
Originally posted by crazed burner

chung_chang ... if you think it may be a WinXP PRO issue, why keep flogging the same dead horse. Try a test run of your writer in WIN98SE or WIN2000SE.

It is unlikely that the Lite-On LTR-48125W writers are duds as many other reputable companies rebadge them as their own and many owners in other forums have given them 10 out of 10 scores.

I do plan to.....this weekend. Don't have time during week days as I need my PC for work. Is there no one here who is running this drive under WinXP Pro? Are Streetwolf and I the only ones and just so happen to have the same exact problem? This thread has been read like almost 300 times. Surely someone has this drive running under WinXP Pro. Any comments or feedback from you would be very helpful.

Streetwolf, if you have the time before this weekend, feel free to test Win98SE if you are up to it.

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 12
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/12/2002 4:43:21 AM   
Dartman

I have that drive and XP pro, it works fine. Not to say it never makes a cd with errors but if I use good media and smart burn it does just fine. I even had good luck with some CMC nedia and it would even do 48x without errors. My batches of Fuji and Memorex TY's will only do 40x but they work fine at that speed and sometimes even do OK at 48 without smartburn but mostly they'll have a small amount of errors.
You probably have bad drives or a conflict between software or hardware to be getting that many errors all the time. On one batch of old 12x cdr's I have it actually burned better at faster speeds then when I lowered it. The drive never recognized those oldies right and could never do a error free burn with them.

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 13
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/12/2002 6:05:52 AM   
chung_chang

Dartman, thanks for your important feedback! My Fuji TY's are also recognized as 40x by Smart-burn. So, I think we have the same media there. When I burn a full CD, with Smart-burn turned on, usually the last 10%-25% (near the outer edge of CD-R) would show up as yellow in NERO CD Speed v1.0. Sorry to sound skeptical, but..... are you burning a full CD (~700MB) and have you checked it in CD Speed to make sure most if not all of the CD shows up green. I am only interested in your Fuji TY results as that is the only media we seem to have in common. Again, I really appreciate your feedback.

As far as software conflicts, I almost doubt it. I have re-formatted and re-installed WinXP Pro w/SP1 and the very first software I installed (even before any 3rd party drivers) is NERO 5.5.9.9. Problems right away.

As for hardware conflicts, I have Intel 845D chipset, 2 IDE harddrives (WD60GB and WD100GB), SBLive, 3Com NIC, Nvidia Geforce2MX and Antec 350W PS. I have configured the burner in every combination imaginable with the 2 IDE harddrives as far as primary/secondary, master/slave/single. Didn't make a difference. I have had this system for almost half a year now and aside from the new burner, the rest of the hardware has been extremely stable and consistent. Do you mind posting your hardware specs for my reference? Thanks!

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 14
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/13/2002 2:44:24 AM   
Dartman

Well I have burned many audio test cd's and tested them with Nero and MOSt come up with no errors at 40.
I have a MSI kt3 ultra aru here with a 1.2 athlon and the Via ddr chipset.
I have major problems if the DMA gets turned off and it drops back to PIO mode, but thats only happend once.
You might want to try some other burning programs to see if any work better with your hardware combo. I like Prassi Primo CD Deluxe for a simple little program that works well. Provided they ever release the PX engine update that allows it to recognise our drives. I also use Discjuggler, and Clone besides Nero. I have noticed that when one doesn't like what I'm trying to burn one of the others usually works.
I used to really like cdrwin but I haven't kept up with it lately.
You might want to try increasing the software buffers to see if that helps, It helped here when clone started acting up.
The above board with
advansys wide scsi card
512 DDR 333 ram
1 40 gig IBM raid 1 master
1 20 gig Maxtor raid 1 slave
1 20 gig WD raid 2 master
1 4.3 Quantem scsi wide
1 4/8 gig SCSI tape backup
1 Ultraplex 40 wide reader
1 Liteon 32 cdrw Main ide 1 master
1 Liteon 48 cdrw main ide 1 slave
1 Liteon 163 dvd secondary master
300 watt Anetc Smart PS
Antec value line full tower ATX case
G-force ti 4200 video card
Network card
on board sound
Need any nore info?
I want a better case someday, More Ram, and a bigger PS. But it seems to work so far. Those Antec PS are great.

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 15
RE: LTR-48125W problems - 9/13/2002 7:00:34 AM   
chung_chang

Just tried GoldenHawk CDRWIN 3.9A and same problem....maybe it's defective unit.

(in reply to Streetwolf)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> LTR-48125W problems Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI