Same drive. Same problem. Maybe our drives are not faulty. I am hoping a new firmware will fix it.
I have tried the following:
* Format and clean install of WinXP Pro w/SP1
* NERO 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
* With or without Intel Application Accelerator 2.22 (845D chipset)
* VS04 and VS06 firmware
* Primary slave, secondary single, secondary master w/slave, secondary slave with master
* GQ, Memorex, Fuji(Taiyu), Mitsui, MediaPro CD-R medias
* Burn at speeds: 48x, 40x, 32x, 24x, 16x
All of the above resulted in CD-Speed ScanDisc errors. Although, most of these errors are corrected by the burner on Read, my standalong DVD Player picks up these errors as blocks on my TV. The only way I could burn without errors is to burn at 4x.
Fortunately, I have my old Liteon 24102B. I installed it as a second burner in my PC with the same settings above and all medias burned at 24x without a single error. DVD player plays them perfectly.