CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Anyone get their F1 yet?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 688 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/1/2002 6:28:42 PM   
Ralf Hutter

In one case the media is TDK that is rated at 16x but has burned fine for me at 24x on my Lite-on 32x and Plextor 40x. In the other case it's Compusa branded Ritek rated at 16x that burns fine at 32x on both other burners. I have checked the burned disks using Neros ScanDisc in the CD speed program. Results show no errors at all. When I try to burn this same media on the Yamaha it limits me to 16x and 24x respectively, with OWSC enabled. It burns fine at thsi speed, but at a lower speed than on the other burners. With OWSC turned off I don't have any burn speed options other than 16x or 44x. When I try it at 44x, it forces 44x speed during the burn and burns a coaster. I'd just like to be able to burn at 20x, 24x, 32x, or 40x if I want, and the media can support it.

I have plenty of decent media to burn with as well, but I also have cheap crap to use for quicky backups and recording my wife's Heavy Metal CD's, and I'd like to be able to burn fast with it, like I can on my other burners.

BTW - I called Yamaha tech support and they were mostly clueless. The guy tried to tell me I had to use the latest version of Nero to enable ALL burn speeds. He said it was the software that was limiting my burn speeds. I told him I was using the latest (5.5.9.0) and then he said that maybe "sometime in the future Yamaha would be releasing new firmware that may fix this problem".

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/1/2002 7:12:39 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi Ralf
Your wife is into Heavy Metal mine too and its murder ain't it !!
Well using 16x Certified Media is where your problem is mate I'm afraid to say ! Like I said earlier the Last 2 good models Yamaha have made were a bit picky and the CRW-F1 is just the same I have just tested some 16x Richo and have got the same results as you but it is not down to the Writer it is the Media the Yamaha will not write to a CD with a speed that it thinks will not give you high Quality that is the difference between Yamaha and some other maufacturers (which I won't mention or everyone who's got one will be telling me how good they are )they will do exactly what they say they will do but only with good media and at a quality controlled speed . I will be quite honest and say this is the best drive I have ever had and believe me I have had hundereds since the good old days of 2x. And as for the firmware I feel certain that there will be one out very soon if there are any problems that is another thing Yamaha is good at fixing problems but at the moment I havn't come across any problems but I do know there is people wanting a better range for setting manual writing speeds like yourself ! But as I keep saying I cannot see the point if you use the right Media !!
Some people will say will it do Safedisk 2 and all I will yes with the right software and also it will do Securom New with the right software.

You Say " BTW - I called Yamaha tech support and they were mostly clueless. The guy tried to tell me I had to use the latest version of Nero to enable ALL burn speeds. He said it was the software that was limiting my burn speeds. I told him I was using the latest (5.5.9.0) and then he said that maybe "sometime in the future Yamaha would be releasing new firmware that may fix this problem".
I am one of the few who will say well I don't think it is a problem with the Drive it is a Media problem. Just think would you run a Rolls Royce or a Cadillac on cheap below standard Petrol or Oil hell no. So if anyone is expecting the same from the Yamaha forget it good media good results is the answer anyway Mate I am going to have another Play with it so see you Later !!!

Laffin Assassin

It's Nice to be Important!!!
But it's more Important to be NICE!!!

Edited by - Laffin Assassin on 08/01/2002 19:16:08

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
Post #: 18
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/1/2002 9:53:45 PM   
Ralf Hutter

quote:

Hi Ralf
I will be quite honest and say this is the best drive I have ever had and believe me I have had hundereds since the good old days of 2x.

I'm VERY strongly considering returning this drive tomorrow. Can you tell me what things you like about this drive? I'm trying to keep an open mind about it. If you have any experience with the 40x Plextor IDE internal or the Lite-on 32x, could you compare them with the CRW-F1? I'd appreciate it!

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
Post #: 19
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/4/2002 9:20:32 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi Ralf
I have just tried the disct@2 function and it is pathetic you can hardly see the images even on Verbatim 40x Datalife Plus with a dark blue base they are still not very visible and it takes longer to do a little image than it does to copy a full CD. It is not something that I have been bothered about but some users are, it is not all it was made up to be I hope Yamaha will sort this out with new Firmware like they have done in the past with other problems and that they don't expect users to buy New Expensive Special Media to make it work as it should!!!

And lo and behold another shock for me My trusty Ritek 32x Media are turning out some Coasters with Clone CD (Something they have never done on the Yamaha 3200e, TDK 401248b or the AOpen 4048b) so I have had to switch to Intenso 32x and they are OK so far but now they will not write faster than 24x and but the Verbatim 40x Datalife Plus will do 40x and no Coasters yet. But I will also say that I am now not as impressed as I was for the first 2 days I was doing tests on the CRW-F1 if they are like this with the Ritek how many more Brands of Media don't they like I do hope Yamaha haven't done what a certain Manufacturer is good at and released a product that was not 100% ready so lets hope they sort this out with Firmware very Quickly!!!

Mark (Yamaha )
As you can see some of our members are concerned about the OWSC speed issue, Media Issue and the disct@2 function can you tell us if this is going to be sorted out with some new firmware quickly or is it going to be left as it is for a while ! Because people want more flexibility with the speeds without losing quality also better Compatability with Different Media. So come on Mate please give us a quick Reply just to put our minds at ease you already know what I think of Yamaha but this does need sorting out dosen't it!!!

Laffin Assassin

Use The SEARCH Feature for a Quick Answer !!!

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
Post #: 20
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/4/2002 10:27:22 PM   
Ralf Hutter

I took mine back. I'll wait until Yamaha gets their sh*t together firmware-wise. I have a perfectly good Plex 40x that's a month old and works as well, or better than the CRW-F1. I'll keep using it in the meantime.

Edited by - Ralf Hutter on 08/04/2002 22:28:08

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
Post #: 21
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/4/2002 10:38:11 PM   
techbum

Got mine two days ago. With a spindle of Maxell certified 24X and a few TDK 40X CDRs, burned at least 20 CDs some CD to CD copy, some MP3 to audio CD with and without audio mastering. All burns set at 44x, no coasters yet. With audio mastering and best write speed, 24X Maxell was downgraded to 4X write speed (a gruelling 20-25 minute burn time) but audio quality is superb. This thing is also a good audio player, not like the Lite-On which is kinda flat sounding.

I have to change my attitude when it comes to burning and just let the drive decide what is best (everything automatic), so far it's forgiving on both Maxell 24X and TDK 40X.

Never tried DiscT@2 because I like to make use of every available byte on my CDs, overburn even.

Tray is pretty quiet except for a slight play (left to right).

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
Post #: 22
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/4/2002 11:55:19 PM   
Clint

L.A. I suggest you try Verbatim DataLifePlus Metal AZO 16X (maybe also the 24X media??!) media for the DiscT@2 function, as they are much darker than the new Verbatim DataLifePlus Super AZO 40X (not 'metal AZO this time!?).

I picked up some Verbatim DataLifePlus 40X media yesterday and the first thing I noticed is that the dye (Super AZO) is nothing as dark as the 16X media (Metal AZO)...

Remember you need to hold it in the light properly for the correct reflectivity to occer, thus a good image apear.

I'm still waiting for the damn drive to arrive here in OZ, still no sign of it yet

Thanks for your obsurvations techbum, they are much appreciated!

- Use the Search feature for quick answers !

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
Post #: 23
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/5/2002 2:24:36 AM   
techbum

You're welcome, Clint. Also, some minor issues with CD speed scandisk saying that this drive is not capable of reporting damaged sectors. Scandisk check of all CDs are green, no yellow in sight. Software or hardware issue? Listened to all audio CDRs and all were fine, very fine indeed.

Another issue with Nero, if you select AudioMastering in one session and after the burn switch back to normal (in my case, 44X), the buffer underrun checkbox gets unchecked... don't know if I did this by accident. Anyway, I burned another audio CD, set at 44X with buffer underrun disabled (unknowingly), again using Maxell 24X certified CD, amazingly the CD turned out OK. I love the 8 Mb buffer.

Burned CDs all day Sunday, the drive ran warm and not so hot as the Lite-On.

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
Post #: 24
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/5/2002 4:00:15 AM   
Clint

Yeah, that's a hardware issue. The Yamaha's CRW3200 and CRW-F1 (there's probably others in the line up) are unable (as you say) to report damaged sectors

They cannot report C2 error info.

Maybe this can change with a firmware update?

Nero -

I find heaps of little "glitches" like that in Nero all the time, I wouldn't worry

- Use the Search feature for quick answers !

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
Post #: 25
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/5/2002 6:22:12 AM   
john

Actually the Yamaha drive can report C2 errors BUT with special un-documented command set. CD Speed's ScanDisk uses a generic command set that will not work with all drives. As we heard, a new method is preparing from CD Speed author to make it work with all drives!

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
Post #: 26
RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/5/2002 7:25:53 AM   
Clint

quote:

Actually the Yamaha drive can report C2 errors BUT with special un-documented command set. CD Speed's ScanDisk uses a generic command set that will not work with all drives. As we heard, a new method is preparing from CD Speed author to make it work with all drives!

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

Doesn't work within EAC also...

I'm interested, how can one execute these special commands to force the CRW-F1 to retieve C2 errors

Lets hope Eric Deppe gets things up and running soon!

• Questions? Problems? Search for fast results!

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
    Post #: 27
    RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/5/2002 7:28:30 AM   
    Laffin Assassin

Yeah so am I Mate !!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
    Post #: 28
    RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/5/2002 8:35:45 AM   
    Clint

quote:

Yeah so am I Mate !!!

Laffin Assassin

Laffin, do your Verbatim DataLifePlus 40X CD-R's say "Super AZO" or "Metal AZO" on them

Are they in slim CD cases

Did you try DiscT@2 on the 16X Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-Rs yet (if you can find them, that is )

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
    Post #: 29
    RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/5/2002 9:51:00 AM   
    Laffin Assassin

Hi Clint
    They are Super AZO and they are in a normal Jewel Case !!!
    I have not tried the 16X Verbatim Data Life Plus CD-Rs yet but as soon as I can get my hands on some I will try them and let you know the results but that is a big downer ain't it 16x. I am not that bothered about DiscT@2 but I am sure that some people will be and there also is this Issue with Campatible Media !!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
    Post #: 30
    RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/5/2002 5:34:48 PM   
    MP3Mogul

I haven't purchased my drive as of yet, waiting on Mark to reply to Laffin's questions above. I have been a long time Yamaha user, but this drive seems full of bugs. It's not like Yamaha to release something like this (other companies release drives and TONS of firmware upgrades after the drive release). I'm not impressed with the speed selection either, hope this can be figured out with a firmware upgrade. Also, I'm like Laffin, I don't care too much about the labeling system, I'm more for the drive quality, and C2 error reporting is a must for me.

- Certified Audiophile -

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
    Post #: 31
    RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? - 8/6/2002 5:19:54 AM   
    Clint

quote:

Hi Clint
    They are Super AZO and they are in a normal Jewel Case !!!
    I have not tried the 16X Verbatim Data Life Plus CD-Rs yet but as soon as I can get my hands on some I will try them and let you know the results but that is a big downer ain't it 16x. I am not that bothered about DiscT@2 but I am sure that some people will be and there also is this Issue with Campatible Media !!!

Laffin Assassin

Thanks for the info, Laffin

Least I'm happy that I didn't get ripped, not having the darker metal AZO, seems as if the metal AZO can't handle those ultra-high speeds

I got a few thinking that they were also had really dark dye like the 16X ones, for my CRW-F1 (when it FINALLY arrives to OZ shores... ).

*sigh*

(in reply to BinaryPoet)
    Post #: 32
    Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: Anyone get their F1 yet? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI