CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1252 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/22/2002 10:47:25 AM   
john

> What was the configuration of the system you tested the F1 on??Especially what OS were you using..?

At a P4@1.6Ghz, 256RAM...etc and under Win98SE and WinXP...

> All these drives with the 24+ speeds are tested only on recording from the HDDs, right?

Yes thats correct.

> Are there any on the fly tests with these drives that can tell us how they do on that department?

As long the drive is feeding with data, it will write at the same time you will read in our reviews. There is a slight problem however to find good readers that can keep up. A 40X+ CD-ROM will be just fine.

> How do they do with WinXP..?

Read the review.

> what exactly makes this a better drive

It depends upon your needs. Read the review and decide. Remember speed isn't everything.

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to john)
Post #: 17
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/22/2002 7:02:25 PM   
Jeomite

Hi john,
I'm really interested in the DiscT@2 feature of this drive. Have you any problems with it? I mean does it show up pretty okay on most discs? I believe I heard it's hard to see on the Phalocyanine disc (light colored CDRs)... any truth to that?

I'm not sure if you know the answer to this one... but does Yamaha have any intentions of allowing owners to choose 32X or 40X as the write speed in future firmwares?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Jeomite on 07/22/2002 19:03:22

(in reply to john)
Post #: 18
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/22/2002 7:11:09 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi Jeomite
If you go to:-
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5818
You will see the post by Mark Becknauld who is the Product Manager at Yamaha and he has already answered your concern about the speed !!!
I hope this Helps !!!

Laffin Assassin

CD-ROM ---- Consumer Device, Rendered Obsolete in Months !!!
The Definition of an Upgrade: Take old bugs out, put new ones in !!!
What do people mean when they say the computer went down on them ???

Edited by - Laffin Assassin on 07/22/2002 19:12:16

(in reply to john)
Post #: 19
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/22/2002 9:52:21 PM   
Jeomite

Thanks Laffin. I'm one step closer to buying this drive in black. Hope it isn't too pricy.. *crosses his fingers*

(in reply to john)
Post #: 20
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/22/2002 10:06:32 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi Jeomite
Well at the Yamaha Online store in the USA the Black one is the CRW-F1ZEN is $199.99 and CRW-F1ZE White one is priced at $179.99 have a look at :-
http://www.yamahashoponline.com/interface/home_cat.asp?CatID=1&CatName=CD+Recorders
It would be cheaper to buy some black paint
I hope this Helps !!!

Laffin Assassin

Edited by - Laffin Assassin on 07/23/2002 18:21:39

(in reply to john)
Post #: 21
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/23/2002 12:38:23 AM   
Jeomite

Holy smokes, $200! I didn't know it was be that pricy! lol
Most 48x CDRWs are under $120, Retail Boxed ones even too!

I hope the price for this drive in online shops are more lower than the MSRP.

I find the quote from the Yamaha Store ironic...
quote:
" Record a full CD in under 3 minutes!! "

considering their claims failed based on benchmarks.. still QUALITY over QUANTITY (or SPEED in this case =)

Edited by - Jeomite on 07/23/2002 00:40:49

(in reply to john)
Post #: 22
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/23/2002 5:47:08 PM   
MP3Mogul

I log on to www.yamaha.com and select usa. It's showing the white face as 179.99 for the USA, preorder of course still.

-Peace-

(in reply to john)
Post #: 23
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/23/2002 6:23:56 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi MP3Mogul
OOPS Worded wrong But fixed

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to john)
Post #: 24
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/29/2002 10:49:09 PM   
perror

Hi all!

Just thought I give my 2 cents regarding the CRW-F1..I just got mine 2 days ago...and I must say that I'm really impressed by it...Quite a leap..coz my previous drive was a 4X HP 8200i..

Anyway, I noticed that there were some questions about the tray...and from what I noticed, the tray is solid...although not as solid as my old HP...coz after coming out of the bay, the tray tends to droop a bit....when retracting the tray..it goes back up...But I guess the tray is well constructed compared to most drives that I've seen...

The version I got was the white coloured one...I guess the black colour one would look much more nicer..coz the tray itself is black..just the face plate is white...

The Disc T@2 feature works as promised...but...just my 2 cents regarding it, I was not very comfortable when trying to burn a Disc T@2 disc...coz I could not visualize how the result would look like...on software, the result..looked horrible, even on the output preview...but when I burned the disc, the output was beautiful.. I have not tried to use any other disc other than the one bundled along with the drive...planning to get hold of some Verbatim discs later today....but so far, I'm satisfied by the Disc T@2 feature...

I have not tried the M-RW feature of the drive....maybe I will try it later today...

This is just my 2 cents after using the drive for 2 days...I know it's not that accurate..but hope it helps..

As for the price of the drive, I got mine for $147.36. I got it at a cash and carry sale..

(in reply to john)
Post #: 25
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/30/2002 3:50:13 AM   
john

Hi pepper,

Keep posting your comments for the CRW-F1 drive.

(in reply to john)
Post #: 26
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/30/2002 5:45:10 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi perror
It's nice to see someone has got one can you tell us which Store you got it from and have they got plenty in stock. !!!

Laffin Assassin

Always remember to Pillage BEFORE you Burn

(in reply to john)
Post #: 27
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/30/2002 6:11:28 AM   
BinaryPoet

Perror,

Nice update! Let us know after you get some more blanks and play around with it more as to your thoughts..

Binary Poet

Also: John, when is the new Nero coming out that you tested the drive with in your review? Will we need this version to use the F1 correctly?

(in reply to john)
Post #: 28
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/30/2002 8:32:37 AM   
perror

Thanks for the kind words guys...I will keep you all posted...

I didn't buy it from a store..I got it from the distributor of the drive in Malaysia...I believe that since the drive is produced here..they got their hands on it earlier...My drive came with 1.0b firmware and was produced in July 2002...Also..my box is a bit..well..not a bit..very diffrent!I don't have a digital cam handy so I can't really show it to you all...

As for any more experiences burning...well, I didn't do much...just burned an AudioCD...the disc used was from some company called Tridata...I am not sure who makes the dye...any way I can find out?But this CD made some weird noises in my drive...especially after it stopped burning...as though the drive is doing some really heavy seeking...

Anyway...I will inform you all if I find out anything...tonight..I'm gonna try the MRW capability...

Anything in particular you all wanna know?I'll see what I can do to find out..have fun everyone!

(in reply to john)
Post #: 29
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/30/2002 8:53:19 AM   
john

> Also: John, when is the new Nero coming out that you tested the drive with in your review? Will we need this version to use the F1 correctly?

No the bulked version of Nero with the Yamaha drive will work just fine. We got some beta latest version that supposed to have higher recorder compatibility with new drives, but nothing special about CRW-F1.

(in reply to john)
Post #: 30
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/31/2002 9:47:36 AM   
perror

The version of InCD included with the F1 is really lousy..caused me 2 coasters so far(both Kodak)..coz it tends to hang with a blue screen....

(in reply to john)
Post #: 31
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 7/31/2002 12:49:48 PM   
jayzen

quote:

I didn't buy it from a store..I got it from the distributor of the drive in Malaysia...I believe that since the drive is produced here..they got their hands on it earlier...My drive came with 1.0b firmware and was produced in July 2002...Also..my box is a bit..well..not a bit..very diffrent!I don't have a digital cam handy so I can't really show it to you all...

Can I ask you whereabouts in M'sia did you get the F1? You didn't happen to buy it at the recent PC Fair did you? Coz' if you did, I'm so bummed as I was looking out for it. Since I didn't think it would be available so soon, I just got the LiteOn 40x.

(in reply to john)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI