I've had a 24X burner for a few months now and its been working OK on IDE1 (as master) of my old Abit BE6 BX chipset board powered by a Celeron 566 running at 900 mhz. I have a pair of IBM ATA66 drives as masters on each of the Highpoint controller ports and an Acer 40X DVD on IDE 4.
I installed a celeron 1.1 GHZ chip last night and every thing appeared to be running fine until I noticed my burner had disappeared from the system. I disconnected it and rebooted a few times, then reconnected it and booted the system. It was recognised now but the tray openes and closes half a dozen times as it boots and then stays open. If I put a CDR in it will spit it out after a few seconds. DMA and Notification are checked in properties.