CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Can't install CD-RW! Pls help!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 831 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Consumer Electronics] >> BD, DVD Players/Recorders >> Can't install CD-RW! Pls help! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't install CD-RW! Pls help! - 4/9/2002 5:26:32 AM   
marifiori

Hi. I bought a cd-rw drive (Ricoh 24x10x40x Ė MP7240A) but I have been totally unable to install it. Iím not very technical, so I do need a step-by-step guide if anyone has enough time, patience and a kind heart to help me.
Letís start with the specifications of my PC: ACER Acros, Win98, 233Mhz, 92 RAM, has a CD-Rom and a Floppy drive on it already.
Now, for the inside of my tower:
There are two IDE cables. One of them is connected from the motherboard to the HDD and has a space connector in the middle (almost Ė itís not long enough). Question: is this the correct connector for the CD-RW drive? If yes, are the ends of the IDE cable interchangeable, i.e. can I take them out and plug them the other way around (if A is on motherboard and B on HDD, can I put A on HDD and B on motherboard)? The other IDE cable is connected to the motherboard and the CD-Rom drive and has a free connector. Maybe itís the correct connector for CD-RW? I have no idea! And how do you tell which IDE cable is connected to the primary or secondary pin on the motherboard? L
The power cables: there are two spare ones, one with double cables (two in each slot) and one with single ones. Which one do I use for the CD-RW?
Jumpers on CD-Rom and CD-RW: the jumber on the CD-Rom is set to Master. Where does it have to go on the CD-RW?
The manual that came with the CD-RW drive says that I should connect the audio cable, but am I right in assuming that since thereís already a CD-Rom drive installed, there is no need for that?
Is there any changes I should make on the BIOS settings?
I did all sorts of funny combinations, but I havenít been able to find the right one for all these cables. In fact, Iíve no idea what Iím doing! Any help would be terribly appreciated. Thank you very very much!

Post #: 1
RE: Can't install CD-RW! Pls help! - 4/9/2002 5:58:12 AM   
john

Use the cable in which CD-ROM is installed. Put the CD-RW as MASTER and connect it at the end of the cable and install CD-ROM as SLAVE (jumper). No other work should be done (check during the boot process if drive(s) are recognized from BIOS).

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to marifiori)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Consumer Electronics] >> BD, DVD Players/Recorders >> Can't install CD-RW! Pls help! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI