CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Toshiba Unveils First Ever Cell-powered TV.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1269 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Toshiba Unveils First Ever Cell-powered TV. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Toshiba Unveils First Ever Cell-powered TV. - 10/22/2009 6:32:08 AM   
astra

Taking things to the next level, HDTV manufacturer Toshiba introduces the first television to use a powerful cell multimedia processor.
This cell processor is the same one used in the Playstation 3. After four years of research and development, Toshiba is finally ready to release the Cell Regza TV which boasts several advanced features including the ability to simultaneously record eight high-definition channels. No other company has yet talked about putting such powerful processing inside a TV and Toshiba is betting that the functions enabled by the inclusion of the Cell give it an edge in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

The Cell Regza TV stands at about 55-inches and will go on sale in Japan in early December. Of course, this kind of technology does not come cheap. The Cell Regza TV will cost around ¥1 million or approximately US$11,175. For the U.S., it will probably arrive by next year then Europe after that.

The Cell chip was developed by Toshiba, IBM and Sony and each chip contains a single Power PC core and eight co-processors. Together the chips make heavy-duty processing of video a breeze. Compared to one of Toshiba's current TVs, the Cell Regza has 143 times the arithmetic processing capacity.

The simultaneous recording function uses two-thirds of the space on an internal 3TB hard-disk drive to provide, when run continuously, the last 26 hours of television on-demand from eight channels. Alternatively it can be switched to record fewer channels at different times to result in a longer overall library of programs.

The remaining terabyte of disk space can be used to record desired programs and keep them for longer than the simultaneous recording function allows.

Other visual tricks are also capable with the TV, such as the ability to have eight TV channels displayed on the screen at the same time. By keeping each of the TV tuners set to a different channel it's also possible to quickly step up and down through digital channels without the delay that is now common on most digital sets.

http://www.hdtv-news.co.uk/hdtv/news/

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Toshiba Unveils First Ever Cell-powered TV. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI