CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

NVIDIA's Fermi takes direct aim at supercomputing, Intel.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1342 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> NVIDIA's Fermi takes direct aim at supercomputing, Intel. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NVIDIA's Fermi takes direct aim at supercomputing, Intel. - 10/1/2009 12:12:30 PM   
astra

NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsuan Huang kicked off his company's GPU Technology Conference this afternoon with a keynote that unveiled NVIDIA's next-generation GPU architecture, codenamed Fermi.

The fact that this architecture is named after a physicist, and that is shares this naming convention with NVIDIA's supercomputing-oriented Tesla line, tells you most of what you need to know about where NVIDIA sees its future.

In short, the GPU maker must walk a fine line between pleasing its shrinking core audience of hardcore PC gamers and courting its growing user base in the high-performance computing (HPC) realm. In times past, walking this line meant erring on the side of pleasing gamers, even if it meant making design decisions that were disadvantageous to HPC. But Fermi marks the point at which NVIDIA has officially begin making its discrete GPU tradeoffs favor the HPC market at the expense of gamers.

This being the case, it now seems likely that NVIDIA's real future in the gaming market lies with the Tegra line.
More reading:

http://news.google.com/?ned=us&topic=t

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> NVIDIA's Fermi takes direct aim at supercomputing, Intel. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI