CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Seagate launches 'world's fastest' hard drive.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1107 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Seagate launches 'world's fastest' hard drive. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seagate launches 'world's fastest' hard drive. - 9/24/2009 5:47:21 AM   
astra

Seagate has announced the world's first SATA 3.0 hard drive, the Barracuda XT, making good its promise of earlier this year to start selling hardware capable of keeping up with the high-performance interface.

Seagate demonstrated the possibilities of SATA 3.0 (also known as SATA 6Gb/s) in March, and for once for once the hype is probably accurate in its core message. The Barracuda XT is the world's fastest ‘mainstream' hard drive, and can feed data to a SATA 3.0 interface at burst throughputs up to the 6Gbits/s maximum, twice what is theoretically possible from today's SATA 2.0 hardware.

However, to have any hope of taxing such an interface, users will need to have applications that can throw this volume of data through hard drive I/O - such applications are still fairly rare - and get hold of a corresponding SATA 3.0 controller. Luckily, such controllers do exist from Asus and Gigabyte, which have, respectively, announced the P7P55D and P55 series motherboards.

The Barracuda XT drive itself is otherwise a straightforward 2TB capacity unit, with a large 64MB of onboard cache, running at 7,200rpm, although SATA 3.0 is clearly designed for a world where this sort of capacity has become a low entry point.

"Our aim is not to compromise on performance or capacity," was how Seagate's David Mosley described the world the drive-SATA 3.0 age could usher in. Today, higher capacity drives inevitable struggle to deliver larger and larger amounts of data to users relative to the capability of the interface.

That said, with Seagate's SeaTools utility users could configure the new drive to sacrifice some of its capacity to get even higher performance.

http://www.computerworlduk.com/

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> Seagate launches 'world's fastest' hard drive. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI