CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

SSDs Ready For The Enterprise.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 761 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> SSDs Ready For The Enterprise. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SSDs Ready For The Enterprise. - 9/5/2009 4:11:49 AM   
astra

Because the storage subsystem is the performance bottleneck for most commercial applications, system designers have sought to speed the flow of data from disk to main memory using a variety of schemes. The latest move relies on solid-state disk technology. Over the past year, flash-memory-based solid-state devices have emerged that deliver data in a few microseconds; are significantly less expensive than RAM on a per-gigabyte basis; and, like disks, store data reliably when powered off.

Enterprise-class flash devices are still pricey--averaging more than $100 per gigabyte. But for those with deep pockets and a real need for speed, these systems can deliver up to 45,000 read I/O operations per second, or 16,000 write IOPS, compared with the 170 IOPS typical of a 15-000 RPM drive. A single mirrored pair of SSDs can outperform 100 spinning disks that would cost several times as much after drive enclosures, array features, software that's licensed by capacity, and other so-called slot costs are figured in. Flash devices also can help you go green because that pair of high-end SSDs will use much less power, and generate less heat that the data center cooling system must remove, compared with a group of 15,000-RPM drives delivering the same IOPS.

Vendors from EMC to Xiotech are debuting innovative SSD technologies suitable for enterprise data centers and branch offices. But there are a few downsides. Long-term reliability is unproven, the bottom-line cost on a per-gigabyte basis could send your CFO into cardiac arrest, and advances in data classification and tiering are still needed to gain maximum benefit.
More reading:

http://www.techweb.com/home
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Consumer Electronics News >> SSDs Ready For The Enterprise. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI