CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Free Microsoft antivirus 'coming soon'   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1208 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Free Microsoft antivirus 'coming soon' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Free Microsoft antivirus 'coming soon' - 6/11/2009 8:27:30 AM   
astra

Beta version of 'Morro' expected shortly.

A beta version of Microsoft's free antivirus software - codenamed Morro - will soon be available from the company's website, according to a report.

Microsoft employees are already testing the software ahead of a broader rollout in the near future. The company declined to provide a specific date for Morro's release, but said the trial version would be available "soon".

Microsoft announced its plan to replace its Windows Live OneCare security software with a free antivirus product last November.

The company said at the time that Morro would help encourage more people to take antivirus seriously, claiming nearly 50 percent of Windows users don't have an antivirus tool installed on their PC.

"Our goal with OneCare was to get more customers more protected, and I don't think we were able to do that to the extent that we would have liked," said Amy Barzdukas, a senior director of product management with Microsoft. "As we look around the world now, the countries where PC growth is most rapid, in emerging markets such as Brazil and India and China, the malware threat is even greater."

However, Morro, which is expected to run Windows OneCare's antimalware engine but will use fewer system resources, won't be bundled into the operating system, Barzdukas said at the time. That decision could help placate concerns from security software vendors, whose ability to sell antivirus products to consumers would be hampered if Microsoft bundled a free tool with its operating systems.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=117288&

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Microsoft News >> Free Microsoft antivirus 'coming soon' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI