CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

YouTube Pulls All Professional Music Videos In The U.K.   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1495 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> YouTube Pulls All Professional Music Videos In The U.K. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
YouTube Pulls All Professional Music Videos In The U.K. - 3/10/2009 10:00:32 AM   
NIKDEL

In a dispute over royalties with the Performing Rights Society, YouTube has blocked all professional music videos in the UK.

As of 6pm yesterday, YouTube began blocking all professional music videos on its site – but only in the UK. It’s the result of a dispute over royalty payments in a new licensing agreement with the Performing Rights Society (PRS), which collects fees on behalf of music publishers – the money that goes to the songwriters and composers.
Patrick Walker, YouTube's director of video partnerships, told the BBC that he regretted taking the step, but that the PRS was seeking an increase in fees "many, many factors" greater than before.
"We feel we are so far apart that we have to remove content while we continue to negotiate with the PRS."
"We are making the message public because it will be noticeable to users on the site."
In a statement, Steve Porter, the head of PRS, said the move "punishes British consumers and the songwriters whose interests we protect and represent," and has asked YouTube to reconsider, adding:
"Google has told us they are taking this step because they wish to pay significantly less than at present to the writers of the music on which their service relies, despite the massive increase in YouTube viewing.”
"This action has been taken without any consultation with PRS for Music and in the middle of negotiations between the two parties."
The license YouTube pays to the PRS covers streaming videos from three of the four major labels as well as many independents. YouTube was adamant that they were not willing to do the new license deal PRS was offering, at any cost. Bought for a huge amount by Google, YouTube has been under pressure to begin making money.
But it’s not the only service to have run-ins recently with the PRS. Pandora, MySpace UK and Imeem have also had their problems with the Society in the last year.

http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-article/19435/youtube-pulls-all-professional-music-videos-in-the-u-k

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> General Computing News >> YouTube Pulls All Professional Music Videos In The U.K. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI