CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Microsoft Certifies NVIDIA's Ion for Windows Vista   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1273 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics >> Microsoft Certifies NVIDIA's Ion for Windows Vista Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Microsoft Certifies NVIDIA's Ion for Windows Vista - 2/12/2009 11:42:29 AM   
NIKDEL

NVIDIA gears up to challenge Intel

Virtually all netbooks shipping today feature integrated graphics by Intel as a cost-effective and easily implemented solution. Intel's integrated graphics, while providing a minimal amount of performance, are adequate for most netbook buyers who are looking for an affordable and portable secondary or tertiary system.

NVIDIA has wanted to challenge Intel in this growing market, which will ship 35 million netbooks this year. The first step was the release of the 9400M GPU in October, featuring 16 CUDA capable cores and taking up half the space of previous integrated GPUs. However, to replace Intel's integrated graphics, NVIDIA needed to replace the entire chipset, which they are planning to do with the Ion platform, featuring the 9400M. NVIDIA expects that designs using Ion will be much thinner and smaller than current systems. It will be used in sub-notebooks under twelve inches, netbooks under ten inches, and small form factor desktop and media PCs. Microsoft has now certified the Ion platform as being Windows Vista Capable, as its graphical capabilities allow the use of Windows Vista's Aero interface or the upcoming Windows 7.  It has also qualified WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) drivers for the Ion platform. Currently, most netbooks run Linux or Windows XP Home Edition. Netbooks using the Ion platform are expected to be available in the summer. It will face strong competition from the next generation Atom platform, codenamed Pineview. Pineview Atoms will integrate a GPU core and a memory controller into either the die or chip package. It will be produced on Intel's low power 45nm process, and feature an extremely competitive price at a much smaller form factor. Ion will have to be extremely price competitive, even though it offers much better graphical performance.

Whichever the market chooses, netbooks will be cheaper, faster, lighter, and have longer battery life this summer. The winner will be consumers.
www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Certifies+NVIDIAs+Ion+for+Windows+Vista/article14237.htm

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Computer Graphics >> Microsoft Certifies NVIDIA's Ion for Windows Vista Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI