CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Which burners rate the best with actual users?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 912 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Which burners rate the best with actual users? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which burners rate the best with actual users? - 8/29/2001 1:41:40 PM   
carroll

Hello, I'm really glad to find this forum! I am a complete CD-RW novice looking to install an up-to-date internal CD-RW. Although I know my way around a PC I am researching which CD-RW to get. I'm a very good researcher but some of the specs elude me for their importance. For instance, what are the advantages/disadvantages of a 2 mb write buffer compared to an 8 mb buffer? What are the descriptions not saying that helps one discern which ones will write copy protected discs and backup discs with no problem? What is sub-channel data, DAE speed of 32X versus 40X, CloneCD problems, etc.? It seems they all have something to recommend or not recommend them. I'm also concerned about the software bundles they come with as well. Here in the US there are some good deals right now on various units. I have pretty much narrowed my choice down to the Plextor 16X10X40, the same thing in a TDK VeloCD or the Yamaha 2100 Litespeed. Only the TDK comes with the Nero 5.0 (upgradable for free to 5.5) which I keep reading is the easiest and most versatile software to use with any 16X10X40 CD-RW unit. All things being equal for price what do you all think about these units and which one is the most fool-proof (that's me!) and reliable. A wild card here is the new Pacific Digital 16X10X40 unit which I can get for a very good price from Dell but I can't find any test reviews for it nor can I found out anything about the software it comes with - NTI CD Maker 2000. Any comments, recommendations, thoughts will be gladly received.

Carroll

tomm carroll
Post #: 1
RE: Which burners rate the best with actual users? - 8/29/2001 6:33:21 PM   
Archee

Try putting "clonecd" into the google search engine and read the info on the Clonecd site. Lots of good info for the beginner (like me!). I have the Plex 16/10/40a burner and so far I couldn't be happier. I've only burned a half dozen games or so, but so far no problems getting the burned copies to run on various machines. I've done all my burning from my DVD/CD-ROM (Toshiba SD-M1502) directly to the Plextor.
The last game I burned a copy of was Arcanum, and I did both disc in a total of about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Good luck,
Archee

(in reply to carroll)
Post #: 2
RE: Which burners rate the best with actual users? - 8/30/2001 6:31:13 PM   
arklab

If trying to save money,

1) Lite-On 24X for about $135

2) This weekend (Labor Day) CompUSA has a Que! 24X for $100 after rebates- $170 in store (but nobody knows what it REALLY is, or if rebates will be paid).

"You pays your money, you takes your chances"

(in reply to carroll)
Post #: 3
RE: Which burners rate the best with actual users? - 8/31/2001 7:18:14 AM   
onezone

Plex if you have the cash spare - and Lite-On if you have a "little" less cash spare.. either way BOTH good writers.. BOTH work very well.....

OneZone

(in reply to carroll)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Which burners rate the best with actual users? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI