CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Best Price/Place to Buy Media   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1336 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Best Price/Place to Buy Media Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 7/8/2007 9:53:26 PM   
qz33

All this talk about burners and media got me to wondering where do you guys get your stuff. I want to be sure and avoid fake Taiyo Yuden and such. So the question is as of this moment right now, where are your favorite places to buy CD/DVD media?

Major considerations are Price and Quality.

It depends on what you are looking for of coursse so lets get the conservation started with Taiyo Yuden DVD +/-R.
What's a good price for these?

All types of suggestions are welcome.
Post #: 1
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 7/8/2007 11:31:39 PM   
SithTracy

Where are you located?  Here in the U.S., I struggle with decision to make an online purchases for media, but occasionally use NewEgg.com and RIMA.com.  You often don't know what you will get online, but in retail you can see the "Made In ..." to get an idea what you are getting.  I like finding the "Made In Japan" on Fuji DVD±R's (always been Taiyo Yuden).  For DVD+R DL, I only buy Verbatim.

I found Maxell CD-R Pro's at a local Wal-Mart (those are Taiyo Yuden) and I burn the heck out of those.

(in reply to qz33)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 7/8/2007 11:41:22 PM   
qz33

I am in the southeast U.S.

What abouto price? What's some good deals you have gotten?
Found these:

100 Pack Verbatim 8X DVD-R
100 Pack BenQ 8X DVD-R Blank Media $22
100 Pack 16x Memorex DVD-R

Something tells me Memorex is cheap
Please educate me.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 7/8/2007 11:46:30 PM   
SithTracy

Best price I got on 100 Verbatim DVD-R's is $21.00 after a rebate (NewEgg.com)... I would not even consider the other media you listed.  I only buy Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

(in reply to qz33)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 7/8/2007 11:55:37 PM   
qz33

What did you payy for the Verbatims?

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 5
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 7/9/2007 11:21:53 AM   
SithTracy

Verbatims average around $30.00 a spindle of 100... I often pick them up at a local Sam's Club... I prefer Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media though (RIMA.com... and I need to order more, after I use up this batch of Verbatim).

(in reply to qz33)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 8/23/2007 2:52:49 PM   
qz33

Hey Tracy, I thought Verbatim DVD+Rs were id code MCC 004, which is made by MAM using the Phthalocyanine dye.  I found some at SAM's today however which were touting the AZO dye on the box.  Do the Verbatims you buy use Azo dye?  I wonder if I should get these or some Yudens for $15 more.  The Verbatim's are close, I kinda want them quick, and since I've been using Riteks from Memorex, either would probably be an improvement.

What do you think?

(in reply to qz33)
Post #: 7
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 8/23/2007 3:24:12 PM   
SithTracy

I get my Verbs at Sam's club... They have always been MCC 004... I'd get them, but TY's are pretty darn good too.

Edit: and yes, they are advanced AZO... great discs!

< Message edited by SithTracy -- 8/23/2007 3:25:10 PM >

(in reply to qz33)
Post #: 8
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 8/23/2007 4:34:05 PM   
GenAn

quote:

ORIGINAL: qz33

Hey Tracy, I thought Verbatim DVD+Rs were id code MCC 004, which is made by MAM using the Phthalocyanine dye.  I found some at SAM's today however which were touting the AZO dye on the box.  Do the Verbatims you buy use Azo dye?  I wonder if I should get these or some Yudens for $15 more.  The Verbatim's are close, I kinda want them quick, and since I've been using Riteks from Memorex, either would probably be an improvement.

What do you think?

I'm not sure where you got the idea that Verbatim had anything to do with MAM.  Verbatim media is made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation using the AZO dye it developed.  The actual manufacturing can be done by Mitsubishi at its Singapore plant, or by CMC Magnetics and Prodisc Technology in Taiwan, or Moser Baer in India, but all using the MCC processes and equipment.

(in reply to qz33)
Post #: 9
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 9/4/2007 12:09:13 AM   
qz33

Hey Tracy, what experiences have you had with dual layer media?  Does it usually give good results?  What is the fastest speed media available? 

You said you usually get Verbatims; where do you get them and what price is good?

Where can I find them in bulk, like quantities of 100?  All I can find are 20 packs.

(in reply to GenAn)
Post #: 10
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 9/4/2007 9:38:01 AM   
SithTracy

When it comes to DVD+R DL there is only one choice... Verbatim.  I am told to avoid those made in India... Our local Sams Club has those and I have not picked them up.  I don't do a lot of DL burning, I have about a dozen or so in my possession... All Verbatim.  I think most can burn at around 8x, but I prefer to burn them slower when I have the need.

Shop around for DL Verbatim and stick to retail for them so you can insure you get the ones made in Singapore, Taiwan, or Japan.  My last three pack was purchased for around $11 U.S.

< Message edited by SithTracy -- 9/4/2007 9:40:03 AM >

(in reply to qz33)
Post #: 11
RE: Best Price/Place to Buy Media - 9/4/2007 11:33:37 PM   
qz33

Yeah, I wish I could find Verbatim's made in Singapore since that is MCC's actual factory.  I just bought some Verbs from OfficeMax and they are made in Taiwan.
$11 seems high for media, but I only want to use it for DVD movie burns which I want to be very high quality.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Best Price/Place to Buy Media Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI