CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 review   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 786 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Hardware Reviews >> Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 review Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 review - 8/4/2006 7:26:30 AM   
cadoo

Intel’s back. After playing second fiddle to AMD’s Athlon 64/FX/X2 for the past couple of years, Intel’s finally back on top of the CPU world thanks to the power of their new Core 2 processors. A few weeks ago we took a look at Intel’s two highest-end Core 2 CPUs, the Core 2 Extreme X6800 and the Core 2 Duo E6700 and found both of them to be more than worthy competitors to AMD’s latest CPUs, the Athlon 64 FX-62 and the Athlon 64 X2 5000+. In fact, the slower of the two CPUs, the Core 2 Duo E6700, outran AMD’s more expensive flagship FX-62 in all of our tests.

Intel had been saying for months that Core 2 would take back the performance crown from AMD when it was released, but as everyone knows, it’s PR’s job to make bold claims when it comes to performance. Practically no one outside of Intel expected Core 2 to dominate AMD’s high-end CPU lineup so thoroughly.

“But what about the lower-end Core 2 CPUs?” That’s the million dollar question a lot of you asked after seeing the Core 2 Extreme benchmarks. After all, while it’s always fun to read about $999 CPUs, not many of us have the budget to afford such a processor. Because of this, we’ve been eager to get our hands on one of Intel’s more affordable Core 2 processors. This is where the Core 2 E6400 comes in.

The Core 2 E6400 boasts many of the same key features found in Intel’s more expensive Core 2 Duo CPUs – in fact it’s built on the same manufacturing line – only Intel disables half the processor’s cache and it runs at a lower clock speed: 2.13GHz. In comparison, the Core 2 Duo E6700 runs at 2.66GHz, while the Core 2 Extreme X6800 runs at 2.93GHz. With the smaller cache and slower speed the Core 2 Duo E6400 commands a significantly lower price, just $224 compared to the $999 price tag of the Core 2 Extreme X6800 and $530 price of the Duo E6700, making it a tempting alternative to the more expensive Core 2 CPUs. In fact we can’t recall the last time a next-gen CPU launched with such affordable pricing.

More at: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_core_2_duo_e6400_review/

Source: FiringSquad
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Hardware Reviews >> Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 review Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI