CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Zombie king suspect alleged to have sent 18 million spams per day !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 351 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Zombie king suspect alleged to have sent 18 million spams per day ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Zombie king suspect alleged to have sent 18 million spa... - 5/18/2006 7:19:10 PM   
SiliconFreak

Experts at SophosLabs™, Sophos's global network of virus, spyware and spam analysis center, have welcomed the news that the South Korean authorities have arrested a man suspected of running a 16,000-strong network of zombie computers.

According to the state-backed Korea Information Security Agency (KISA), the man is believed to have sent 18 million spam emails to 133 countries every day from his network (or botnet) of compromised computers.

Working with the police, KISA identified a man who has been running the botnet of 16,000 computers for the last six months using it to send out large amounts of loan-related spam.

Last month, Sophos published a report placing South Korea as the third biggest relayer of spam, accounting for almost 10% of all junk mail seen by Sophos's global network of spam traps.

"Spammers usually don't use their own computers to send out their unwanted messages - instead they infect and take over innocent people's vulnerable computers using malware and use them to churn out the spam," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos. "South Korean computers are often exploited in this way by spammers because of the country's impressive internet infrastructure, but the messages sent from those computers can end up in the inboxes of people anywhere in the world. For the Koreans to catch their first zombie master is great news for everybody who uses the internet."

Zombie computers - are your PCs under someone else's control?

Zombie computers can be used by criminal hackers to launch distributed denial-of-service attacks, spread spam messages or to steal confidential information.

As spammers become more aggressive, collaborating with virus writers to create armies of zombie computers, legitimate organizations with hijacked computers are being identified as a source of spam. This not only harms the organization's reputation, but can also cause the company's email to be blocked by others.

Sophos ZombieAlert™ advises service subscribers when any computer on their network is found to have sent spam to Sophos's extensive global network of spam traps, and provides rapid notification to customers if their Internet Protocol (IP) addresses are listed in public Domain Name Server Block Lists (DNSBL). This information helps customers locate, disinfect, and protect these systems from future attacks.

Sophos continues to recommend that computer users ensure their anti-virus software is up-to-date, and that companies protect themselves with a consolidated solution which can defend them from the threats of viruses, spyware and spam.

Source : Sophos
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Zombie king suspect alleged to have sent 18 million spams per day ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI