CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Malware displays fake virus warnings to sell software !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 896 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Malware displays fake virus warnings to sell software ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Malware displays fake virus warnings to sell software ! - 5/17/2006 9:13:09 AM   
SiliconFreak

More hackers generating income by preying on security fears

Experts at SophosLabs™, Sophos's global network of virus, spyware and spam analysis centers, have warned of the growing trend for malware to display fake security warnings in an attempt to sell software.

The latest example seen by Sophos experts is Troj/FakeVir-O, a Trojan horse that displays a fake warning message claiming that virus activity has been detected on the user's PC.

The FakeVir-O Trojan horse displays a message, encouraging computer users to visit a website selling software which claims to protect against spyware. Sophos believes that the Trojan horse has been written by an affiliate to the software company, and is trying to generate revenue by driving people to the website.

The message displayed by the Trojan reads as follows:

Your computer is infected!

Critical System Error!
System detected virus activities.
They may cause critical system failure. Please, use antimalware software to clean and protect your system from parasite programs. Click here to get all available software.

The message displayed by the Trojan horse.

"More and more malware is being written that tries to make cash by preying on users' security fears," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos. "Many of these attacks don't just display advertising, they fool people into believing their computer has a serious security problem when it has nothing of the kind. People need to be more suspicious of the messages they receive on their computers, as it could be a hacker trying to scare them out of their money."

"Furthermore, the websites that users are directed to by malware can often carry software that pretends to be bona fide, but may list bogus reviews of its effectiveness at killing off spyware and viruses, or just be interested in stealing users' credit card details," continued Cluley. "Legitimate software companies need to take firm action if they have advertising affiliates who are breaking the law by installing malware onto innocent users' computers to generate income."

In April, Sophos reported on Zhijian Chen who was fined almost $84,000 for marketing a bogus anti-spyware program. A week ago, hacker Jeanson James Ancheta was sentenced to 57 months in jail for installing revenue-generating adware on a zombie network of 400,000 computers.

Sophos recommends companies put in place a consolidated solution to defend against viruses, spyware and spam, and ensure that it is automatically updated as new threats emerge.

Source : Sophos
Post #: 1
RE: Malware displays fake virus warnings to sell softwa... - 5/21/2006 2:08:51 PM   
Dartman

I got hit with that SpyFalcon one a while back while trying to update one of my players that way. It install phony trojans and things then finds them and trys to send you to it's web site. That was a couple of weeks of hell getting that POS off of here. Snuck right by Nortons without a whimper too. Ewideo Security Suite demo finally mostly killed it but it hides itself too and I had to find it a couple of times... Can't uninstall, etc... resapwns...
I think Spybot finally added it thank god, went by it too.

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> Malware displays fake virus warnings to sell software ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI