CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

US high court sets aside eBay patent ruling !   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 782 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> US high court sets aside eBay patent ruling ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US high court sets aside eBay patent ruling ! - 5/15/2006 12:04:14 PM   
SiliconFreak

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday set aside a patent injunction against online auctioneer eBay Inc., but also rejected a key argument made by the company that could have narrowed the rights of patent holders.

The high court unanimously reversed an appeals court ruling in favor of MercExchange, a developer of e-commerce technology that sued eBay for patent infringement, saying an appeals court had failed to apply the proper legal test in deciding whether MercExchange should be granted an injunction barring eBay from using its technology.

However, the justices also rejected a crucial argument advanced by eBay, and embraced by a U.S. District Court that handled the case, that companies lose some of their right to an injunction if they have agreed to license out their technology or are not using it to make a product themselves.

Some high-tech companies complain a near-automatic injunction allows them to be held ransom by owners of questionable patents who have no intention of actually making a product.

EBay was found to have infringed on two e-commerce patents that MercExchange said were key to eBay's "Buy it Now" feature, which handles fixed-price scales. But a U.S. District Court refused to issue an injunction and awarded MercExchange monetary damages instead.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which hears most patent case appeals in the U.S. courts, reversed the decision, citing legal doctrine that gives patent holders the right to an injunction "absent exceptional circumstances."

EBay has said that an injunction would not affect its business because of technology changes it made during the course of the case.

Source : YahooNews
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Security News >> US high court sets aside eBay patent ruling ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI