CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

BASF   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 786 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> BASF Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BASF - 8/23/2001 3:10:34 AM   
Doug_The_Mooose

Is this BASF brand a good cdr to use?

Please Tell

:)

Post #: 1
RE: BASF - 8/23/2001 3:34:10 AM   
Sillygates

NO, Look at my post

CMC Magnetics Corporation BASF, CMC & Imation

(in reply to Doug_The_Mooose)
Post #: 2
RE: BASF - 8/23/2001 7:28:07 AM   
rjw

If you mean the red ones. (BASF EXTRA) You should only buy them if the code stated at the right side of the barcode ends on TY.
This would mean made by TAYO YUDEN. Which is a good manufactuer and these cd-r`s are good

IF you mean the blue ones (BASF CERAM GUARD) There is no problem at all. These CD-R's are one of the best you can get. The disc is made by TAYO YUDEN and the real hard protective coating is made by BASF/EMTEC itself. Useing these 2 quality products make real good discs.[All codes are TY on the boxes :)] You will have to do your best to destroy the upper coating to damage your cd on the upside. So if you are very rough with cd-r`s then this will be your disk. It will give no problems.

If you mean the black ones (BASF CD-R MASTER). Then you should know this these CD-R's are manufactured for studio cd-recorders. Because of this the error rate is real low. But they aren't manufactured for high speeds writing. Since most studio-recorders will not go faster as 4x. These CD-R`s are good and probally the best for recording on low speed and usseing as an audio master cd, but I can`t tell you any thing about burning on highspeed with the modern PC CD-Writers. The manufactuer is TAYO YUDEN again and the coating is again with the same stuff as the CERAM guards.

There is another type of BASF CD-R out their and these ones always seems to be bad.

I hope that I cleared things up for ya !

Post #: 3
RE: BASF - 8/23/2001 8:31:07 AM   
Boots (old)

... nicely )

Post #: 4
RE: BASF - 8/23/2001 12:08:56 PM   
rjw

Here is a small update with more info about basf cd`s

There is also a KODAK version of the CD-R master and the red CD extra ones.
So now there 2 good red versions. Kodak code KO According to a friend of mine. So if it states KO or TY at the end of the code. You will have the good ones.
Most times this aren`t the cheapest red ones.

Other codes on red boxes
CM/EM/RI/BM -> all are bad

Oh bye the way. There is a lot of misunderstanding about traxdata and
That`s write and Imation.

Most people say that these disks are bad. However both use many

Traxdata uses Tayo Yuden, Kodak and Ritek.
Most Silver ones are Ritek but some are made by tayo yuden.
However any gold traxdata is actually made by kodak and ain`t bad.

Imation and That`s write are even more confusing. It seems that their disks could be anything. That`s write have ussed the following brands:
Tayo Yuden, Misubitshi, Ricoch, Ritek, Princo, CMC magnetics.
And Imation have used:
Tayo Yuden, Ritek and most times CMC magnetics.

However not all of these disks are bad. If you have the option to check one disk usseing software. You will sometimes get very good cd`s for a very low price. However don`t buy much if you don`t know where the batch is comeing from.

One last thing. It seems that TDK uses RITEK also to make their cd-r's. So if you want to be save stay away from TDK. The own disks are nice but the others are the ones with the problems.

I know that a lot of people are confused with all the creators and distributers.

Here is a list of distributers including their original creator that are good.

Sony -> Always Tayo Yuden. ( Only there layer seems not to be the best)
Tayo Yuden -> Always Tayo Yuden
Mitsui -> Mitsui
BASF CERAM GUARD -> Always Tayo Yuden
Kodak -> Kodak

For people with a 3610 philips burner I recommend Mitsui. These disks seem to work much better on these drives than other disks.

Post #: 5
RE: BASF - 8/23/2001 6:40:16 PM   
Sillygates

The Imation Discs in Spindles are ALL bad (CMC). i bought 300 of them last year

I know that same cased ones are good, and some are bad

Post #: 6
RE: BASF - 8/24/2001 1:34:41 AM   
Doug_The_Mooose

Thankz all for that. Thats is very helpful. Here in New Zealand we don't have alot of cdr's.
I tried sony disc's but the top coating is flaking off some of my disc's

Thanks All

Doug_The_Moose

:)

Post #: 7
RE: BASF - 8/24/2001 8:31:54 PM   
john

Btw its Taiyo Yuden and not Tayo Yuden

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

Post #: 8
RE: BASF - 8/25/2001 12:36:17 AM   
Sillygates

Thanks for the update

Post #: 9
RE: BASF - 9/9/2001 3:36:41 PM   
Stelios

Actually what's wtitten on the label is not the point.
Use a program like CDR Identifier or Click 'N' Burn to see the CDR's
Manufacturer.

Prefer CDR's made from Taiyo Yuden, Ricoh, Sony, Mitsui, Mitsubishi Chemicals or Prodisc, Plasmon Media for cheap ones.
Avoid CDR's made form CMC Media, Multi Machinery, Ritek, Auva, and CD's that "Disk ID is not allowed"

Post #: 10
RE: BASF - 9/10/2001 9:56:45 AM   
rblake

Yes indeed! CDR Identifier can be found at

http://www.gum.de/it/download/english.htm

R.

Post #: 11
RE: BASF - 9/13/2001 7:18:44 PM   
jase

quote:

Prefer CDR's made from Taiyo Yuden, Ricoh, Sony, Mitsui, Mitsubishi Chemicals or Prodisc, Plasmon Media for cheap ones.

Agreed on most of those. However I have had some discs which report themselves as Plasmon Media. They originate from www.cdrecordable.com, and despite everything the company says about these discs being soooooo great I have had nothing but bloody trouble with them. Many drives won't even sniff them :( I'd add Princo and Postech to this list.

quote:

Avoid CDR's made form CMC Media, Multi Machinery, Ritek, Auva, and CD's that "Disk ID is not allowed"

Blue CMC and MMM&M certainly, ID not allowed definitely (in most cases, a few are OK). The phthalocyanine (yellow/near silver) CMC and MMM&M are good in my experience. Verbatim use CMC media and have invested heavily in the company. I think the opinion about these discs is a little out of date. And Ritek are now a good supplier of "mid-range" media, up there with Prodisc (or nearly at least). I'd definitely add Lead Data to your list...

Post #: 12
RE: BASF - 9/16/2001 10:59:22 AM   
rjw

You can say that is not an point what is written on the box . However what if you could find out easilly in the store if you buy good cd's for a low price without buying any of these.
With CDR Intifier you will now it after the buying.
So I still think that is wise to check te boxes before you buy and then do a check with CDR Identifier.

Me and some friends checked with CDR Identifier and the letters on the box are allways correct at this point.
However I have just seen that BASF uses new boxes for their RED CD-R extra ones. There aren't the letters code on them anymore. However you can still check in store if your disks are good. Since a friend of me has checked a couple of different disc's with cdr-identifier. The found disc's where
[country (manufacturer)]
Made in Taiwan(Ritek)
Made in India (Baer Moser)
which where bad

Made in Japan (Tayo Yuden)
Good ones.

However there could be more out there so here is a small list of manufactirers who worked before with Emtec and there country.
BAD
Ritek => Taiwan
CMC MAGNETICS => Europe/ Taiwan
EMTEC MAGNETICS => Europe
Baer Moser => INDIA

GOOD
KODAK Japan => JAPAN
Tayo Yuden => JAPAN

So make sure that you buy the made in Japan product only or the product with the correct box codes and then still check with cdr-identifier if you got the real thing and buy then perhaps more.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> BASF Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote