CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Porting Linux applications to 64-bit systems   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 927 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Porting Linux applications to 64-bit systems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Porting Linux applications to 64-bit systems - 5/7/2006 8:12:58 PM   
LinuxMarshall

With all of the talk that we hear about Linux and using a 64bit platform, you must be asking yourself if its even worth it? The short answer is yes, after awhile that is.

"With the pervasiveness of 64-bit architectures, it's more important than ever that your Linux® software be 64-bit ready. Learn how to avoid portability pitfalls when making declarations and assignments, bit shifting, typing, formatting strings, and more."

Linux was one of the first cross-platform operating systems to use 64-bit processors, and now 64-bit systems are becoming commonplace in servers and desktops. Many developers are now facing the need to port applications from 32-bit to 64-bit environments. With the introduction of Intel® Itanium® and other 64-bit processors, making software 64-bit-ready has become increasingly important.

As with UNIX® and other UNIX-like operating systems, Linux uses the LP64 standard, where pointers and long integers are 64 bits but regular integers remain 32-bit entities. Although some high-level languages are not affected by the size differences, others such as the C language may be.

The effort to port an application from 32 bits to 64 bits might range from trivial to very difficult, depending on how these applications were written and maintained. Many subtle issues can cause problems even in a well-written, highly portable application, so this article outlines these issues and suggests ways to deal with them...

Source: IBM
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News Around The Web] >> Linux News >> Porting Linux applications to 64-bit systems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI