CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Philips 765   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 498 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Consumer Electronics] >> BD, DVD Players/Recorders >> Philips 765 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Philips 765 - 3/24/2004 3:25:20 PM   
pastorsmith

I bought this Philips CDR 765 from Ebay. It plays great but I am trying to record. I made sure the CD-R's were Audio Cd's. (Memorex Music CD-R 700 MB 80 min). It makes a rubbing noise when the CD is first put into the slot. It says OPC. I read the manual and it states that it is Calibrating the Disk for Optimum Recording. Then after a few seconds the display states NO-OPC. Which means "Laser power calibration failed. Recording no longer possible". I checked the Disc's and they are "Audio" disks. I do not believe that the Disk Should be so noisy when operating. Please Help.

Pastor Smith
Post #: 1
RE: Philips 765 - 3/24/2004 4:58:54 PM   
sp

Perhaps you used an ill-balanced disc.
Please try some other brand.

WM # CI

(in reply to pastorsmith)
Post #: 2
RE: Philips 765 - 3/24/2004 10:01:05 PM   
pastorsmith

I switched from Memorex to a Sony CD-R Audio and it is working great now. There is apparently a difference in Brands. Even if it says Audio, some brands will not work in the Philips Recorder.

Pastor Smith

Post #: 3
RE: Philips 765 - 3/25/2004 7:17:39 PM   
MP3Mogul

This is definately true. It is always best to experiment with media in "small" lots to see what works best with your particular application.

Welcome to the forum!

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

Post #: 4
RE: Philips 765 - 6/7/2004 11:36:04 PM   
gojohnnygo

I've had the 765 for about five years now, I've had a great time with it until recently when I realized that some discs no longer work in my machine. Memorex, Sony, & TDK discs all used to work fine, but now I only have luck with the TDK discs.

What I've noticed with the newer Memorex & Sony discs is that the "32X" is now "48X", whereas the TDK's are still listed as "32X". It looks as if Memorex & Sony have "upgraded" their discs, but in reality it has caused their brands to not be workable in older models of the Philips 765. Maybe some of the later models of the machine will take the 48X discs, but mine won't. I just hope that TDK never "upgrades" to the higher number. I've had two other friends with the same result as me- TDK 32X work fine, the others don't anymore since switching to 48X. One friend still had some Memorex 32X discs from an old purchase- they still worked fine, but they aren't available in stores anymore.

Luckily, the TDK discs cost just a fraction more than the Memorex discs, and are about the same price as the Sony discs. This is at Best Buy, Target, & Circuit City.

This is Planned Obsolescence at its worst. The machine still works fine, the software is causing it to be obsolete. I've called, emailed, & been on realtime online chats with Philips & Memorex reps, nobody gave me a satisfying answer. They don't seem to understand the gravity of the situation, and really don't seem to care anyway.

I guess I'd just like to let the people out there know that if you have a Philips 765 machine, and it recently stopped "working" in regards to recording, try the TDK 32X discs. It is sad that a lot of working Philips 765 Machines will end up on the junk heap, too bad these large corporations (Philips, Memorex) have no way of communicating to their customers this fact that the machines are not broken. They just expect the public to buy new machines. At least they could tell the authorized repair companies this fact- my local company Fast Trak knew nothing about this. How wasteful.

Post #: 5
[Deleted] - 6/8/2004 4:38:41 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to gojohnnygo)
  Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Consumer Electronics] >> BD, DVD Players/Recorders >> Philips 765 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI